Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Stud (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   A big pot from today's 3/6 session (stud high) (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=340519)

wuwei 09-20-2005 02:46 AM

A big pot from today\'s 3/6 session (stud high)

For the first time in quite a while, I played a good, long session of 3/6 today. I figured it would be good to go over it and post a couple hands. Here's one that sticks out, pretty much everything except 5th seems up for debate.

I didn't have much for reads at this point, other than that the table seemed soft outside of seat 7.

On 6th, I was flailing around a bit trying to do anything I could to help me win this pot. Now that I've put a bit more thought into Seat 3s range of hands, that raise looks like it sucks. I can't come up with anything that's folding for two bets there.

I need to do a better job of putting people on good ranges during play.

Site: PartyPoker
3/6 7 Card Stud -- Hand Converter

Third Street
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]_____calls_____raises
Seat 3: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]_____calls_____calls
Seat 4: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]_____raises_____calls
Seat 5: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]_____calls_____calls
Seat 6: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]_____bets_____calls_____calls
Seat 7: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]_____folds
Seat 8: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]_____folds

Fourth Street
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]_____bets_____calls
Seat 3: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]_____raises_____calls
Seat 4: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]_____raises
Seat 5: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]_____checks_____folds
Seat 6: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]_____checks_____calls

Fifth Street
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]_____calls
Seat 3: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]_____checks_____calls
Seat 4: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]_____bets
Seat 6: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]_____calls

Sixth Street
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]_____raises
Seat 3: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] xx _____checks_____calls
Seat 4: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] xx _____bets_____calls_____all-in
Seat 6: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] xx _____calls_____calls

River
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]_____calls
Seat 3: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] xx _____bets
Seat 6: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] xx _____folds

Roland 09-20-2005 03:33 AM

Re: A big pot from today\'s 3/6 session (stud high)

I would raise right away on 3rd. Limp-reraising is okay, but has an obvious downside: you can’t know if it’s going to be raised behind you. You want to exploit your equity edge here, and if they all just call you have failed miserably.
I like the bet on 4th. Since the pot is huge already, you don’t really mind a raise; it MIGHT knock someone out, after all.
I hate the raise on 6th. This doesn’t improve your chances of winning the pot in any way I can see, and I’m pretty sure you don’t have enough equity to raise for value.
I call the river too.

MRBAA 09-20-2005 12:55 PM

I raise right away on 3rd. Two have folded, nothing higher than a T behind me, I have AK as well as flush draw. It's one of those change up raises, so people can't play you for only raising with big pairs. In an overante game like 3-6, it's especially good, because you don't mind taking it down right there.

I DON'T three bet here -- no one is going away and you are building a big pot against several players who have shown at least a bit of strength with a hand that can brick off on fourth very easily. Pot equity is a very tricky concept on early streets in stud, because there are 3 big bet streets to come. Sixth street raise is very bad against the opponent, who can't possibly fold in a big pot here (unless he's a total idiot). I call the river too -- maybe he missed his flush draw and just has sixes.

djr 09-20-2005 01:43 PM

3rd is fine. I usually raise with this hand, but the limp reraise isn't a bad move.

4th. Although I like betting out, that it got 3bet back to you means you're proceeding thin. I'm sure people will call this weak/tight but I say fold here and save the headache.

5th. It's a scary call in my opinion. If you put seat 4 on the diamond draw he's got a lot of outs against you even if you hit the miracle jack. And that 8 is betting with no regard so he may also have something worthwhile.

6th, bad raise. You're throwing away your money.

7th. I hate calling, but the given there is that 2% chance he'll bluff here with just sixes you kinda have to with this pot.