Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Bet the turn here? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=383272)

Farfenugen 11-22-2005 11:31 AM

Bet the turn here?

PokerStars 2/4 Hold'em (7 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. MP2 posts a blind of $2.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (4 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, MP2 calls, Button calls.

Turn: (3.50 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP2 checks, Button checks.

River: (3.50 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, Button calls.

Final Pot: 6.50 BB

This may be a very stupid and clear cut play but I am new to playing online so I figured I would ask to make sure. SHould I check or bet the turn here?

hobbsmann 11-22-2005 11:33 AM

Re: Bet the turn here?

that turn does kind of suck, but I think it's a bet.

raise preflop.

RutgersKev 11-22-2005 11:36 AM

raise pre.

Bet the turn, any raise must have a K, then you can get away from the hand. If it's checked around and the button bets do you call? More than likely. Then someone with a king could check-raise behind you, and your still stuck a BB. Better to take control and bet.

11-22-2005 01:14 PM

Given that MP2 was a poster, and the button essentially open limped, I really like a raise here. Your opponents probably have very bad hands.

The turn is an interesting situation. If you bet, almost all hands aside from sets and straights are going to fold. By checking you may fill on the river, you may induce worse hands to call a river bet... This is an interesting spot, I would probably check, but looking to call down an aggressive player.

11-22-2005 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
that turn does kind of suck, but I think it's a bet.

raise preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

SoCalPat 11-22-2005 02:42 PM

Limping here in a multiway field is fine. But with a poster and zero limpers, you have to raise this from the SB, even if you are out of position for the rest of the hand.

Bet the turn. You'll get smaller two pairs to come along. Obviously, you'll get raised by a K, but you can ditch that easily in this piddling pot.

The_Curtain 11-22-2005 02:53 PM

I would bet the turn and fold to a raise. The hope would be that your opponents would call down with a lesser ace and raise with the straight.

gopnik 11-22-2005 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bet the turn here?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes. You are not folding to a bet, right? So, bet yourself

11-22-2005 03:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Bet the turn here?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?

gopnik 11-22-2005 04:10 PM

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bet the turn here?

[ QUOTE ]
Why?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because by checking you let a hand that's behind check behind and you let a hand that is ahead bet.

Meaning, you pay when you are behind and you don't win anything when you are ahead.