Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Dealing with a guy re-raising me light pre flop (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=383431)

11-22-2005 04:55 PM

Re: Dealing with a guy re-raising me light pre flop

i've seen the results, but i think this sucks.

scdavis0 11-22-2005 04:56 PM

thanks

beavens 11-22-2005 04:58 PM

big sookout!

it happens.. like i said, the play had the right idea behind it, but i dont have the balls to make it.

scdavis0 11-22-2005 05:10 PM

I think this hand presents us with an interesting catch 22 which is:

A. If he calls my flop raise all-in then I almost certainly had the implied odds to call pre flop in the first place (unless he has exactly 99 or something)

B. If he folds then he is obviously capable of re-raising big with something like AQ and then pounding the flop, making my pre-flop call + push undercard flop play profitable

11-22-2005 05:10 PM

Do you need to go allin, would a smaller bet do the same job?

scdavis0 11-22-2005 05:14 PM

If my line were to be raise to $100 and fold to all in I'd have to feel very strongly (basically 100%?) that this player would not put in an additional raise all in with a naked AK.

Also I feel like this sort of raise is pretty damn transparent. They want to "find out" if you have aces, so when you raise all-in they fold. I make this play with AK when once in a while when it feels right because it's a tremendous mathematical parlay. They fold very frequently and I still win 25% of the time when called.

I didn't feel this way about this guy. He was constantly making cute/LAG plays.

Riverman 11-22-2005 05:36 PM

This is poorly played. You risk your whole stack and are never going to be called by a worse hand. If you think he is on air let him keep firing, or better yet fold preflop (or limp in so he cant destroy your implied set odds by raising)

11-22-2005 06:07 PM

again, read the posts. BF has done some maths and accounts for it as a -$200 play.

BobboFitos 11-22-2005 06:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
again, read the posts. BF has done some maths and accounts for it as a -$200 play.

[/ QUOTE ]

... No, only when you're called. The fact he folds (like when 55 is best hand) marginalizes the expected value.

Thing is, vs a nit this is burning money, and even vs an average player who WILL have 99+ and ALWAYS call it's negative, but in CERTAIN situations, like the one predescribed, I like it.

emil3000 11-22-2005 06:12 PM

Good times, reminds me of an almost exactly similar hand I played, where I was in villains shoes with KK and villain pushed with 66. I won that hand though.