Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   playing middle pair/over pair on the flop. (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=178676)

TakeMeToTheRiver 01-17-2005 03:46 PM

playing middle pair/over pair on the flop.

5/5 NLHE. Villain has over $1K. Hero has about $900.

Hero in LMP has 88 (black). Three limpers to Hero, Hero calls. Villain in CO makes it $30. Folded to Hero who calls. Pot at $85.

Flop: 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Hero checks. Villain bets $100.

How do you play it? Would you fold this PP pre-flop when it gets to heads up?

TStoneMBD 01-17-2005 05:37 PM

Re: playing middle pair/over pair on the flop.

i wouldnt fold this pp preflop. on the flop you should lead. you obviously dont feel comfortable dealing with a potsized bet. a lead will tell you where you stand. if hes tricky enough to raise the flop with overs then youll get paid the times you flop a set.

lapoker17 01-17-2005 05:39 PM

lead the flop - pf call is ok.

TakeMeToTheRiver 01-17-2005 05:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i wouldnt fold this pp preflop. on the flop you should lead. you obviously dont feel comfortable dealing with a potsized bet. a lead will tell you where you stand. if hes tricky enough to raise the flop with overs then youll get paid the times you flop a set.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I should have led out. I guess that was my mistake. I thought it was likely he just had overcards (he raised pre-flop often with two big cards) and thought he would make a play at the pot.

Given where I am now, do you raise or call?

King High 01-17-2005 06:16 PM

My play would be for the most part player dependent. My questions is if you put him on high cards AK or so what raise is right and what size raise would represent a checkrasied set?

DoubleDown 01-17-2005 09:01 PM

action after flop call

what should hero's plan be, if he bets the pot on the flop, is called by villain, and the turn is:

a) a non- [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] lower than 8?
b) a non- [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] higher than 8?

If the answer to (a) and/or (b) is bet ... and villain once again simply calls ... what should hero's action be on the river considering similar parameters:

c) a non- [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] lower than 8?
d) a non- [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] higher than 8?

if villain has called 2 bets of nearly 2/3-to-full pot, is it safe to assume that hero is beat and should check-fold the river ... or should hero attempt to value-/block-bet (~$150??) the river?