Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Calling too many big bets (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=269978)

tpir90036 06-10-2005 10:35 AM

Calling too many big bets

I have been on a long breakeven stretch and think that I might be calling too many big street bets without a read. Tell me if this hand is retarded or standard please as I am not sure which way is up right now:

8-handed 20/40. I open raise in MP with J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Both blinds call. SB is a super loose passive tard, no PT stats or read on BB as he just sat down.

Flop: K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
check, check, I bet, SB folds, BB calls.

Turn: 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
BB bets, I call.

River: 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
BB bets, I call

After the hand I thought that raising the turn and taking a free showdown or folding to a 3-bet was probably the best line. Mucking the turn is way too weak without a read, or is it?

Thanks,
tpir

Stormwolf 06-10-2005 10:49 AM

Re: Calling too many big bets

[ QUOTE ]

After the hand I thought that raising the turn and taking a free showdown or folding to a 3-bet was probably the best line.

[/ QUOTE ]
problem is, you have a heart and cant fold to a three bet so your line is fine

magithighs 06-10-2005 10:52 AM

I always have trouble when someone changes their line in this type of situation. Lately, I've taken Caro's advice that a bluff usually comes when a scare care hits the board, and a big hand comes when the board doesn't look scary.

Seems like a good time for the BB to semi-bluff on a scare card and get you to lay down hands when he's holding the ace of hearts.

Yep, I like the turn raise here. I don't think he'd 3 bet unless he was holding something that beats you.

Cheers
Magi

Paluka 06-10-2005 11:44 AM

Jh makes it hard to fold this hand. Without a heart you can probably fold, because there are 3 ways you are beat (the flush, the K, the 2).

tpir90036 06-10-2005 01:36 PM

Should this be an easy fold on the river unimproved without a read? I feel like I am throwing away 2 BBs in these spots consistently.

Paluka 06-10-2005 03:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Should this be an easy fold on the river unimproved without a read? I feel like I am throwing away 2 BBs in these spots consistently.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is never an easy fold with only one overcard.

Lestat 06-10-2005 03:26 PM

<font color="red"> Should this be an easy fold on the river unimproved without a read? </font>

It should be an easier call than a fold.

tpir90036 06-10-2005 03:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is never an easy fold with only one overcard.

[/ QUOTE ]
That was what I thought. I guess I am just running bad in these spots. FWIW, he had Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and MHING.

I still think I should have raised the turn and folded to a 3-bet/taken the free showdown though.

DcifrThs 06-10-2005 03:40 PM

i dont, do you have any idea how big of a mistake that is when he has a flush under the Jh?

-Barron

J.A.Sucker 06-10-2005 04:14 PM

This is why it's hard to play agaisnt tougher players. You just have to call a lot when you don't really like it; you need more money to play games like this, and the swings are larger while the earn is lower.