Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Two Plus Two Internet Magazine (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Living on Easy Street (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=325654)

Lawrence Ng 08-30-2005 12:46 AM

Living on Easy Street

Excellent article.

Lawrence

Ed Miller 08-30-2005 02:16 AM

Re: Living on Easy Street

Thank you.

Al Schoonmaker 08-30-2005 08:29 AM

Lawrence,

I agree. This article and his others on going pro contain solid advice that pros and wannabes -- especially the young ones -- should follow.

Regards,

Al

TheGame1020 08-30-2005 09:27 AM

What if the wannabe pro will just play poker and flunk out of school anyways? If the young person isn't going to try at school then he might as well do something productive. How completely wrong am I?

Ed Miller 08-30-2005 01:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What if the wannabe pro will just play poker and flunk out of school anyways? If the young person isn't going to try at school then he might as well do something productive. How completely wrong am I?

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn. Don't flunk out of school! Get off your asses and do what it takes not to flunk out. How hard is that?

BarronVangorToth 08-30-2005 03:54 PM

It is amazing, Ed, how some kids aren't paying enough attention in school. One of the guys who plays my WWE Raw Deal game has a full ride to his school, all he has to do is keep a measly 3.4 GPA. Somehow ... he just barely kept it, after getting a 3.1 in his fall semester and getting on probation.

I hollered at him for like an hour before his spring semester to get off his can and buckle down.

Priorities.

We talk about EV all the time -- and getting your university degree is double-plus EV.

Barron Vangor Toth
BarronVangorToth.com

BeerMoney 08-30-2005 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It is amazing, Ed, how some kids aren't paying enough attention in school. One of the guys who plays my WWE Raw Deal game has a full ride to his school, all he has to do is keep a measly 3.4 GPA. Somehow ... he just barely kept it, after getting a 3.1 in his fall semester and getting on probation.

I hollered at him for like an hour before his spring semester to get off his can and buckle down.

Priorities.

We talk about EV all the time -- and getting your university degree is double-plus EV.

Barron Vangor Toth
BarronVangorToth.com

[/ QUOTE ]

I see part of the problem is our attitude towards education as being a necessary stepping stone to a solid financial future, or a sort of rite of passage. My point is that an education should be looked as a priviledge and part of personal development. People in other countries don't have the same attitudes that we as American's have.

BluffTHIS! 08-30-2005 05:48 PM

Well Ed, as someone who plays full-time and is 20 years older than most of the posters here, I have to say I disagree with the part of your article that says it won't last forever. The reason I disagree is because all over the world each year, there will be a new crop of young punk high school and college kids who watch Rounders for the first of 292 times, and who jump online at the first opportunity with their money and become a wannabe, only to slowly lose their dough and interest and move on to be replaced by the following year's crop. Just like weeds they'll keep sprouting up and provide us pros with new opportunities to mow over another year's worth. Only an economic depression would act as an effective weed killer.

chezlaw 08-30-2005 06:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well Ed, as someone who plays full-time and is 20 years older than most of the posters here, I have to say I disagree with the part of your article that says it won't last forever. The reason I disagree is because all over the world each year, there will be a new crop of young punk high school and college kids who watch Rounders for the first of 292 times, and who jump online at the first opportunity with their money and become a wannabe, only to slowly lose their dough and interest and move on to be replaced by the following year's crop. Just like weeds they'll keep sprouting up and provide us pros with new opportunities to mow over another year's worth. Only an economic depression would act as an effective weed killer.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem is that the number of new weeds is relatively constant (or will become so) and the number of pros waiting to mow them down will keep rising. Given that plus other factors they may harm the game; legislation, bots, fashion etc. and it must be sensible to assume the games will get a lot worse.

chez

TimM 08-31-2005 02:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Excellent article.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes it was. But now I feel a little guilty about having just spent $3,000+ on a TV. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]