Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Back from the dead--the flu sucks (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=363945)

[censored] 10-23-2005 10:13 PM

Back from the dead--the flu sucks

Guess I should have listed to Matt Flynn. I came down with what feels like the flu friday night and boy does it suck. I seem to be passed the puking stage though which is nice. Currently I rotate from fever to headache all the while feeling like someone took a sledge hammer to my every muscle I have. No word of a Avain Flu outbreak in OR so I'm confident I will live although death doesn't sound to bad.

If anyone has any tips to get through this please let me know.

Also I see that while I was away some of you were at play. I'll be reveiwing and banning once I feel a little better. Make sucky threads at your own risk.

10-23-2005 10:17 PM

Re: Back from the dead--the flu sucks

I have had the flu for 20 days in a row now. It started out as puking/constant cramping, and the runs. Now it's just the runs, a fever, and a wicked headache/body pain. Lost 15 pounds (and I was skinny already).

Drink Pedialyte (not gatorade because it is high in sugar). Do the BRAT diet- bananas, rice, apllesauce, toast.

Good luck, hope you fare better than I have.

edited to add: I've been to the doctor twice and they can't do anything because it's viral. Next stop: hospital if this doesn't let up.

mslif 10-23-2005 10:20 PM

Just make sure you stay hydrated (maybe drink pedialyte) and stay in bed.
If you keep vomiting, I would suggest going to the hospital, they will give a shot of steroid and an IV. It always helped me a great deal.
I hope you feel better [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Ulysses 10-23-2005 10:27 PM

Lots of orange juice and water. Tylenol Cold & Flu is pretty sweet. TheraFlu is gross tasting, but works really well. Get lots of rest.

HopeydaFish 10-23-2005 10:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have had the flu for 20 days in a row now. It started out as puking/constant cramping, and the runs. Now it's just the runs, a fever, and a wicked headache/body pain. Lost 15 pounds (and I was skinny already).

[/ QUOTE ]

A 20 day flu? You might want to consider getting a second opinion.

10-23-2005 10:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

A 20 day flu? You might want to consider getting a second opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I'm still in bad shape tomorrow I'm going to the hospital.

Exitonly 10-23-2005 10:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
TheraFlu is gross tasting, but works really well.

[/ QUOTE ]

That +Nyquil is the way to go.

Thythe 10-23-2005 10:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
TheraFlu is gross tasting, but works really well.

[/ QUOTE ]

That +Nyquil is the way to go.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nyquil is awesome

Blarg 10-23-2005 10:52 PM

Nyquil and Chloraseptic spray are my gods when I've got a flu.

Also, raw garlic. I usually wrap a clove in a slice of bread and manage to get it down. Really loosens up the phlegm deep in the chest, and feels very warming. It has been shown to have anti-viral properties, too, so that can't hurt.

And I find wrapping myself in too much clothing, perhaps even getting under a blanket, helps a lot. The body doesn't have to burn as much needed energy, when it's already over-stressed, raising my temperature to a fever to kill the germs, because I'm already helping it out on the heat. I've had great success lessening the durations of colds and flus when doing the walking sauna business. Gets sweaty and nasty, but when I'm sick I don't want to be around anybody anyway.

I also find that eating a lot seems to help. The body is doing a lot of breaking down and rebuilding during an illness, and it needs both the energy and the protein to do it with.

Good luck.

10-23-2005 11:03 PM

Excuse me while I LMAO! No, not at your feeling bad or being sick. I've been wondering where the hell you've been the past 2 days as I've read (and maybe even posted) a few of the threads. I've also seen your name called out to come slash and burn a little.

Sorry you're sick. The docs all tell me when I've had flu there's nothing they can do except recommend/prescribe things for comfort and alleviation of symptoms. The rest part is absolutely required. What you're trying to avoid is the crap becoming pneumonia. (been there done that - twice)

My momma (bless her ole soul) always said, "Feed a cold and drown a fever." Flu for me is always both. So, I keep busy drinkin' 'n eatin'. And I never feel like doing either.