Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Science, Math, and Philosophy (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Is a computer virus alive? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=305189)

JoshuaMayes 08-01-2005 12:27 PM

Is a computer virus alive?

At a basic level, a computer virus is a self-replicating group of particles. Isn't that essentially our definition of a life form?

Patrick del Poker Grande 08-01-2005 12:34 PM

Re: Is a computer virus alive?

No.

JoshuaMayes 08-01-2005 12:41 PM

How would you distinguish it from a biological virus, which I assume everyone will agree is alive?

CallMeIshmael 08-01-2005 12:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
biological virus, which I assume everyone will agree is alive?

[/ QUOTE ]

This also isnt true.

Viruses have this sort of nebulous definition that fits in between the living and the non-living worlds.

Jazza 08-01-2005 12:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
At a basic level, a computer virus is a self-replicating group of particles. Isn't that essentially our definition of a life form?

[/ QUOTE ]

i reckon any definition of life is arbitrary, and hence this is just a simple definition question

tell me you're definition of life and i'll give you your answer

JoshuaMayes 08-01-2005 01:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
biological virus, which I assume everyone will agree is alive?

[/ QUOTE ]

This also isnt true.

Viruses have this sort of nebulous definition that fits in between the living and the non-living worlds.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just did some searching, and it appears that many scientists do in fact resist classifying biological viruses as life forms. Here is what I am using as a definition of life:
A being is alive if it can (1) reproduce, (2) consume energy, and (3) stop consuming energy(i.e., die). I was under the impression that this was a generally accepted definition of life. Using this definition, both a computer virus and a biological virus seem to qualify. Is my definition somehow lacking?

CallMeIshmael 08-01-2005 01:14 PM

How does a computer virus consume energy?

Also, how does a regular virus consume energy? They dont eat. (its the host cell that does all the work for them)

Hamish McBagpipe 08-01-2005 01:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A being is alive if it can (1) reproduce, (2) consume energy, and (3) stop consuming energy(i.e., die). I was under the impression that this was a generally accepted definition of life

[/ QUOTE ]

Fire fits this definition, but it is not alive. Fire is a chemical reaction. I have seen a definition list that has your criteria plus half a dozen more and fire still qualified. From what I remember from basic bio classes, as mentioned, even a biological virus is in the shady area. This is due to a virus' incomplete DNA (RNA?) structure...it needs a host to become "alive".

spoohunter 08-01-2005 04:04 PM

A computer virus fits my definition and idea of life. As would randomly generating code.

Brainwalter 08-02-2005 01:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A computer virus fits my definition and idea of life. As would randomly generating code.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's your definition?