Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Selling oil paintings? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=323958)

skierdude1000 08-27-2005 12:49 PM

Selling oil paintings?

Hey guys,

I have a very large collection of Russian and Ukranian paintings by fairly well known painters from the 1930s-1950s. All of them are oil paintings and have been displayed in various art exhibitions throughout Europe and America. I have had trouble finding a way to sell these paintings and was wondering if anyone knew anything about art selling and where I could sell these paintings. I was thinking I could get them sold through an auction house, but I doubt there's a large enough American market for these painters. Some of these artists paintings have been sold in the 90s throughout Europe (London, Paris, etc.)

If anyone can help direct me to resources or any information on how I could best sell off this collection, it'd be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

mmbt0ne 08-27-2005 01:10 PM

Re: Selling oil paintings?

Why not contact the curator at one of galleries it was displayed at, and see if he can be of any help?

skierdude1000 08-27-2005 01:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why not contact the curator at one of galleries it was displayed at, and see if he can be of any help?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've googled the artists names to death and I can't seem to find much on where they were actually displayed or who to contact. Some sites I found are old and down and all I could get was a crappy cached version. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Lazymeatball 08-27-2005 01:21 PM

Out of curiosity, how did you come to own these paintings without knowing a little more about the art business? Inheritance or something?

miajag81 08-27-2005 01:22 PM

Running bad lately, eh?

snakehead 08-27-2005 04:43 PM

ebay

skierdude1000 08-27-2005 05:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Out of curiosity, how did you come to own these paintings without knowing a little more about the art business? Inheritance or something?

[/ QUOTE ]

ya something like that

skierdude1000 08-27-2005 05:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ebay

[/ QUOTE ]

not for these... there's no market there for them and it prob wouldn't be seen by the right buyers... I tried looking around ebay and didn't see any of these cats on there

rusellmj 08-27-2005 05:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Some of these artists paintings have been sold in the 90s throughout Europe (London, Paris, etc.)

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

I got about 9o bucks. Let me see some work.

axioma 08-27-2005 06:08 PM

dont even think of using ebay heh.

try taking a look at artnet.com for a VERY widely used online aution house. there are others.

i would have them valued profesionally first so you know what you are dealing with.