Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro-Limits (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   JJ in SB against BB aggression..standard? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=399384)

ajm36 12-16-2005 01:00 AM

JJ in SB against BB aggression..standard?

Just checking if I left the toaster on...anyone see a problem. My thoughts...he'll fold worse hands and raise better. Should I 3-bet the flop (this seems like overkill here)? What if he calls the turn?

Party Poker 1.00/2.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(9 handed)</font> link

Preflop: Hero is SB with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">7 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (8.00 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (6.00 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>

cold_cash 12-16-2005 02:03 AM

Re: JJ in SB against BB aggression..standard?

I think the likelihood that he's playing a draw this way is pretty small, and that's a pretty crappy flop for your Jacks.

I realize this is a blind on blind deal, but unless this guy is overly aggressive I would lay down to the flop raise; he's probably not a very good player, and he's giving you a chance to get off the hook. I'd take it.

Sure, sometimes he'll pull a stunt like this w/ JT or two diamonds, but I think that will be a very small minority of the time.

It's also going to cost you 2 bets to showdown and I don't think there's anyway you're good here 25% of the time, which is why im leaning toward folding the flop.

The turn bet is also problematic. What are you going to do if he just calls? I don't think he ever just flat out folds to your turn bet, and when he just calls you you're going to have a heck of a time on the river while he'll likely be able to play it pefectly.

Sure, if he raises you can get away, but why spend the extra bet and a half to find out what you're already 90% sure of?

12-16-2005 03:12 AM

Honestly, i would either check-raise the flop, or bet-call and fold on the turn if i didn't hit a J or at least an open-ender

cold_cash 12-16-2005 03:19 AM

Why would you want to check-raise the flop?

milesdyson 12-16-2005 03:22 AM

pwn pwn pwn pwn pwn pwn pwn pwn pwn

@bsolute_luck 12-16-2005 07:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I realize this is a blind on blind deal, but unless this guy is overly aggressive I would lay down to the flop raise

[/ QUOTE ] pretty much. you've capped preflop and he's still coming at you. i seriously doubt he's doing this with JT or TT often enough.

ajm36 12-16-2005 07:20 AM

Thanks for your response. I should have folded here, but I will occasionally bluff raise in BB's position if I can improve, but don't have a hand. This was my thinking when I 3-bet. Say I am BB with JT, is a raise correct? I've been having some trouble with Pocket pairs like these--either I've been releasing them too soon or holding them too long.

12-16-2005 11:53 AM

I would cap pf with JJ if given the opportunity. When you miss a flop with a pp I tend to fold to a bet unless I have a bd straight draw, and even then I may not stick around. If it is raised and the board is low and raggy I may call down when HU hoping my big ace read is good on the raiser. Other than those two situations I'm not continuing. I don't want to be the guy who calls a bunch of bets to hit his two outer on the river. Not with Santa watching...

imported_The Vibesman 12-16-2005 11:55 AM

I'm check/folding the turn. BB's flop raise on that board after your preflop cap doesn't say good things for JJ.