Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   "Codebreakers" on ESPN thread (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=395733)

Bigdaddydvo 12-10-2005 07:57 PM

\"Codebreakers\" on ESPN thread

The story deals with my alma mater, West Point, "my rockbound highland home." and the cheating scandal that rocked the football team in 1951.

I will happily field any questions dealing with the accuracy of the material presented.

RacersEdge 12-10-2005 08:08 PM

Re: \"Codebreakers\" on ESPN thread

You were around in 1951?

Bigdaddydvo 12-10-2005 08:11 PM

Nope, just heard plenty about it when I was there (about 5 1/2 years ago)

thatpfunk 12-10-2005 08:46 PM

Ok, I meant to make a thread about this. I think this movie is complete BS and this little squeeler should not be celebrated.

How is it "honorable" that this [censored] sold out his teammates, guys he is supposed to be training to go to battle with, for cheating on a [censored] math test. Seriously, who [censored] cares, its a math exam. Selling out your teamates so they get kicked out of school and the Army is way more dishonorable then cheating ona freaking test.

Stupidstupidstupidstupid.

Bigdaddydvo 12-10-2005 09:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, I meant to make a thread about this. I think this movie is complete BS and this little squeeler should not be celebrated.

How is it "honorable" that this [censored] sold out his teammates, guys he is supposed to be training to go to battle with, for cheating on a [censored] math test. Seriously, who [censored] cares, its a math exam. Selling out your teamates so they get kicked out of school and the Army is way more dishonorable then cheating ona freaking test.

Stupidstupidstupidstupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

Many don't fully understand the Honor Code or the reasoning behind it. The West Point Honor Code simply states: "A cadet will not lie, cheat, or steal, nor tolerate those who do" It is non-negotiable.

You take an Oath to uphold the code the day you enter. It is this rigid for a purpose. Honor and integrity are essential in military service. Opportunities to compromise your integrity abound, compromises that can put units in jeaopardy (e.g. I falsify an equipment readiness report to look good to superiors, jeopardizing the soldiers who must use it) The nature of our profession demands that officers must be able to take each other for their word, which makes the cadet who "chose the harder right over the easier wrong" (and turned in the cheaters) the one I want fighting beside me, not the ones who compromised their integrity.

thatpfunk 12-10-2005 09:06 PM

keep believing in "oaths," i'll take trust and friendship.

Bigdaddydvo 12-10-2005 09:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
keep believing in "oaths," i'll take trust and friendship.

[/ QUOTE ]

So how can I trust someone who compromises their integrity? If one of my LTs reports "3 enemy tanks moving north, grid 123456" I damn well better be able to take him at his word so I can make all appropriate decisions with confidence that the info I'm given is %100 accurate.

masse75 12-10-2005 09:26 PM

So a 'friend' tells you, "Come on...I don't want to put in the work. Let me cheat on this test."

You'd let him? What BS...he's the one screwing his friend.

PhatTBoll 12-10-2005 10:04 PM

The appearances of Jake Busey and the Home Improvement kid make this movie beyond reproach.

thatpfunk 12-10-2005 10:17 PM

yes you let him cheat on the test, and you keep your [censored] mouth shut and your head turned. citing an honor code is BS, you don't turn your back on a teammate.