Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Home Poker (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Would you play a stranger for a lot of money? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=369051)

RED_RAIN 10-31-2005 04:30 PM

Would you play a stranger for a lot of money?

I often meet new people playing poker and sometimes they talk about a homegame or playing HUs. Would you feel comfortable or is there a good way to go about going to these games? Do you think you wouldn't get cheated by a group of people who know each other and you are the new guy who might never play again? Would you feel safe/okay with going to a place and playing HUs with a bunch of cash on hand?

TomHimself 10-31-2005 04:31 PM

Re: Would you play a stranger for a lot of money?

bring some homies with you hehe [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img], and destroy them head up

RED_RAIN 10-31-2005 04:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
bring some homies with you hehe [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img], and destroy them head up

[/ QUOTE ]

I have thought about this, but more realistically, no, because why wouldn't he be worried.

Lottery Larry 10-31-2005 10:16 PM

As described, I wouldn't be comfortable. I'd want to get a better feel for the personalities involved.

Of course, my own game started with 5 strangers from the Internet who I interviewed, so you never know.

smoore 11-01-2005 03:58 AM

I will only play new games up to $1/$2 NLHE and I only bring $200 max with me the first few times I play.

I would play anyone HU for any amount of money I felt comfortable wagering in a location I felt I wasn't going to get robbed.

I'm not worried about getting $200 robbed or cheated from me, it's just not enough money that I'll feel the need to defend it, I'd just give it up. Dozens of attempts, I have never been robbed in these situations and I have only felt cheated once. I never went back to that game.

sunek 11-01-2005 09:56 AM

The people you play with can't be total strangers. You must have heard about the game from someone. So ask this someone what kind of players the others are. If you are walking in to strangers houses just because you can hear the sound of chips from their windows you are asking for trouble [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I hope all your home games will be safe

sunek

Terry 11-01-2005 02:28 PM

If you are in a home / backroom game for the first time and make four Kings or some such huge but non-nut hand and somebody makes a large bet the correct play is to fold while watching the other players. If you detect any sort of strange response, you then cash out and leave quietly.

Bulldog 11-01-2005 05:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As described, I wouldn't be comfortable. I'd want to get a better feel for the personalities involved.

Of course, my own game started with 5 strangers from the Internet who I interviewed, so you never know.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, the DPC: "where there are no strangers, just fish, er, friends not yet met!"

ThaHero 11-02-2005 05:13 PM

I've often played Madden against strangers for large sums of money. Never felt threatened. Always walked away unharmed. And I've been in some pretty rough places playing too, South Central, Compton, etc. Seems like on a whole people are straight up when it comes to wagering but you never know. I read a news story where someone was stabbed in Florida I think over a Madden game. I'm sure the same can happen in poker. Just be careful and make sure you are friends with at least a few people there, that way if something does start to happen they can break it up, or help you fight lol.