Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Medium Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Why did you checkraise? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=406821)

sfer 12-28-2005 11:43 PM

Why did you checkraise?

Party 20 game, 8 handed. CO posts. Folded to the CO who checks his option, I raise 22 on the button, unknown SB calls, BB folds, CO calls.

Flop is QQ4. Check/check, I bet, SB checkraises, CO folds, I call.

Turn is a 5. SB bets, I raise...

CardSharpCook 12-29-2005 12:39 AM

Re: Why did you checkraise?

I think call down mode is better. I'm worried about a 4. A Q is also possible.

bakku 12-29-2005 12:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i think calling the turn is the worst of your 3 options

WillyTrailer 12-29-2005 12:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

on a board like this he'll have to fold hands with a lot of outs if he was taking a shot at the flop with A high or somehting. he also may fold a better hand. nevertheless you'll send a solid message to the guy who is, as of now, unknown letting him know not to [censored] with you and keeping his bluffing frequency low which is what Dave has said many times he likes.
also, it is, of course, an easy fold to a reraise.

what kind of range are you putting this guy on that has a 4 in it?

-WT

me454555 12-29-2005 01:53 AM

I agree. Raising here forces your opponent to make a decision and your hand becomes very easy to play once that decision is made.

1) Your opponent folds - this is good

2) Your oppoennt 3bets - this is bad and you fold. Net cost is only 2 bb

3) Your opponent calls - you check behind the river or fold if bet into. Net cost 2 bb.

Your going to spend only 2 bbs by calling the turn and river you spend the same amount but don't get the oportunity of folding anyone out of the pot.

W/all that being said, I just toss my 22 on the turn rather than raise them. If you had a specific read on your opponent I'd like it better.

SackUp 12-29-2005 04:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree. Raising here forces your opponent to make a decision and your hand becomes very easy to play once that decision is made.

1) Your opponent folds - this is good

2) Your oppoennt 3bets - this is bad and you fold. Net cost is only 2 bb

3) Your opponent calls - you check behind the river or fold if bet into. Net cost 2 bb.

Your going to spend only 2 bbs by calling the turn and river you spend the same amount but don't get the oportunity of folding anyone out of the pot.

W/all that being said, I just toss my 22 on the turn rather than raise them. If you had a specific read on your opponent I'd like it better.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm with you until you say that you would rather just fold your twos on the Turn. Why even call the flop c/r then? You don't have enough to call a 2 outer and it is unlikely that the guy is checking any turn card even on a bluff. If you are calling this flop c/r then it should be with the idea of getting to SD.

I say we either fold the flop c/r or pop any turn hoping to take it down right there or get a free SD.

CardSharpCook 12-29-2005 04:48 AM

you're right about the turn raise. Don't know what I was thinking.

Joe Tall 12-29-2005 10:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Turn is a 5. SB bets, I raise...

[/ QUOTE ]

folding to a three-bet and taking a free showdown, nh.

dave44 12-29-2005 01:41 PM

Pretty close to a fold I'd say on the flop, which is why I would never raise 22 here preflop. That said, against an unknown I'm not letting him have the pot so raising this turn is a must.

highlife 12-29-2005 03:04 PM

stealing with small pocket pairs can't be profitable in the party 20 game, although i would love to see some numbers to refute or backup my statement.