Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro-Limits (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   77 OOP on a monotone board (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=403702)

Fryguy 12-22-2005 09:19 PM

77 OOP on a monotone board

Opponent is pretty passive, not sure if it's possible he's raising a flushdraw + a pair here or only a made flush.

I felt really weak this hand.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $0.50.
Hero calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, CO (poster) checks, Button calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, BB folds, Hero calls, CO calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls, CO folds.

River: (7.50 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 9.50 BB

Eeegah 12-22-2005 09:31 PM

Re: 77 OOP on a monotone board

I'm not sure why you called a c/r from a passive player on a perfectly connected board in a small pot. The passive folk I know don't c/r a pair of fives, flush draw or no.

HouseCalls 12-22-2005 09:51 PM

Preflop - ok
Flop - A good / aggressive player might raise for a free card here but if your read is a passive player I'd be worried about a made hand. Either way calling is bad. Against a made hand your dead; if you think its a free card play you need to reraise and lead out the turn when the blank comes. Given your read (and the fact that passive players are more common at this limit) I would probably fold.
Turn - c/c is reasonable as played.
River - Two more reasons to fold; the A completes a wheel draw and makes a higher pair for the common low limit player holding Ax.

moose47 12-22-2005 09:57 PM

I would c/f the flop. Even if you have the best hand at the moment there is exactly one card in the deck that isn't a scare card. I don't like my chances here.

kiemo 12-22-2005 10:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Preflop - ok
Flop - A good / aggressive player might raise for a free card here but if your read is a passive player I'd be worried about a made hand. Either way calling is bad. Against a made hand your dead; if you think its a free card play you need to reraise and lead out the turn when the blank comes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont know if you read the hand correctly or not, but its not often a player in the SMALL BLIND can raise for a free card since in most hold em games I play in the small blind is first to act every street.

I am in inclined to fold this flop against a passive player. And most certainly fold the river.

12-22-2005 10:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would c/f the flop. Even if you have the best hand at the moment there is exactly one card in the deck that isn't a scare card.

[/ QUOTE ]

McGahee 12-22-2005 10:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure why you called a c/r from a passive player on a perfectly connected board in a small pot. The passive folk I know don't c/r a pair of fives, flush draw or no.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno, I've seen lots of normally passive players do some weird stuff on monotone boards and typically they'll wait till the turn with a made monster.

On the turn, I've seen lots of bad 'free showdown' posts lately but this would be a great spot for it IMO if you are going to play the flop like that.

HouseCalls 12-22-2005 10:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I dont know if you read the hand correctly or not, but its not often a player in the SMALL BLIND can raise for a free card since in most hold em games I play in the small blind is first to act every street.

[/ QUOTE ] [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Guess my decision to read the forum while drinking instead of actually playing was a +EV play

DCWildcat 12-23-2005 02:56 AM

Every card that is not the 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] sucks. Your equity blows donkey balls. I'm folding the flop.

Augster 12-23-2005 03:05 AM

Grunch.

Preflop, I raise or fold. I hate limping UTG. With a poster in, I'm raising because he's putting in the extra a lot of the time anyway.

That said, it'd be tough to give the SB, playing any two, credit for a made flush, or a 3, or a made straight, or an ace. If you raise pre-flop, he may not even be in the hand. But his check-raise on the flop should tell us we are in trouble.

I'd have a tough time laying it down with an overpair on the turn without the 4th diamond coming. So I call.

The river is terrible, and we can probably lay down, but I'm calling and making a note of what he check-raises the flop with.

Again, I raise 77 preflop from UTG. I just can't limp. More often, if I limp, I'm getting ISO-raised by ATos in UTG+2 who would have folded had I raised. KJos, AJos, same thing. When they ISO-raise, now it's 50/50. If we get to the river.