Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Multi-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Open limp on button, should I be concerned? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=393347)

Peter 12-07-2005 10:56 AM

Open limp on button, should I be concerned?

$30 + $3 multitable tourney. About 75 entrants, a little less than 50 left. We started with 1000 and I now have about 1500 and I have J8o in the big blind. Blinds are 15-30. The table has been pretty thight, I never had to show down my hand.

Button open limps, I am concerned already. SB folds, I check. Flop is J76 rainbow. I bet 60, button calls. Turn is another J, and I bet 150. Button calls. River is a brick, no flush possible, I bet 225, button goes all in for approximately 300 more. I call.

How'd I do?

Peter

PS: this is my first tournament, played it on empire. Pokertracker says I need the summary of the tournament. How do I get that?

Sam T. 12-07-2005 11:07 AM

Re: Open limp on button, should I be concerned?

No, the limp is not a monster. If anything, it's a marginal hand. (Anyone with a big hand who gives the BB a free flop gets what he deserves.)

I don't mind the way you played it.

12-07-2005 11:16 AM

With the blinds at 15/30 and the way he played it, plus his positions, I don't think it's a monster. You played it fine btw.

If it was late in the tournament, lets say 4000-8000 blinds and some ante and he open limps from EP I would be worried but that would also be read dependant.

betgo 12-07-2005 11:58 AM

An open limp from the button is sometimes a big pair, but more likely something like A5s, KTo, or 97s. It is not a bad play, because you have position on the blinds. If they raise you, they build the pot OOP, plus you could be trapping.

nightlyraver 12-07-2005 12:05 PM

You should not be concerned - you call. You are getting huge odds of almost 4:1 on your call. Villian could easily have a second best hand. Perhaps he was sandbagging AA-QQ, maybe he has a 7 with a good kicker, maybe he has 76 or he rivered 2 pair, or he's just bluffing - who knows? Those are all reasonable probabilities. You only have to be right a 20% of the time to break even. I would guestimate that you are way better than 50/50 to win this hand so you make this easy call.

12-07-2005 12:24 PM

Preflop : Check 100% - pot = 90
Flop : Bet 60 (2/3 of the pot) perfect - pot = 210
Turn : Great Turn, Bet almost (3/4 of the pot) perfect - pot = 510
River : Good river, Bet 225 less than 1/2 the pot (a little weak), this may be why he came over the top so it is fine. Maybe 300 would have been a better bet.

You payed it really well.

CALL the all-in and hope he doesn't have a Full House, but if he does, that's bad luck and there's nothing you can do.

schwza 12-07-2005 12:28 PM

you played it fine. once the second J hits, you want him to have QQ+.

Peter 12-07-2005 12:37 PM

Many thanks all for the replies. Is betting 2/3 to 3/4 of the pot a standard bet size?
Also, how do I get the tournament summaries?

Thanks,
Peter

12-07-2005 12:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Many thanks all for the replies. Is betting 2/3 to 3/4 of the pot a standard bet size?
Also, how do I get the tournament summaries?

Thanks,
Peter

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, 2/3-3/4 is the standard, although don't be afraid to bet more or less if you have good justification.

If this is poker stars, the hand history thing is in the lobby's drop-down menu under "Requests" I think.

Peter 12-07-2005 12:56 PM

It's Empire.