Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Shorthanded (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   very shorthanded preflop standards (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=370132)

livinitup0 11-02-2005 01:55 AM

very shorthanded preflop standards

What kind of range do you typically open up with when you get down to 3-4 players? Looking for something I can make a starting hand chart with...need practice on this. Seems like when I get really shorthanded that I seem to just get way too aggressive and its hard to calculate poker stove while playing...multi-tabling these short games is a nightmare for me.
An tips out there for playing very short?

11-02-2005 02:06 AM

Re: very shorthanded preflop standards

I second this. I improvise by playing most SH steal hands from any position when it gets down to about 4. When it's HU, I play face cards, pairs, and suited connectors. But this is pure speculation on my part. (Disclaimer: I only started 6-max a few weeks ago.)

imported_leader 11-02-2005 02:22 AM

Same hands you play from the CO and Button in 6-max, but it's even more important as the game gets shorter to adjust to the players in the blinds. You'll probably want to play looser in the blinds because people get over-aggressive the shorter it gets. Use common sense however if a tight raiser raises it still means something.

TheMetetron 11-02-2005 02:36 AM

It's opponent specific. Though I generally play more or less the same as if the first 1-3 people folded unless I see my opponents trying to adjust one way or the other.

11-02-2005 02:41 AM

I play basically the same in SB/BB and about like I'd play in MP/CO from the button. You have much less fold equity three handed than you do after three folds in a 6 handed game, you need more value to raise (although you have a little more room because SB/BB will usually call looser).

Victor 11-02-2005 02:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What kind of range do you typically open up with when you get down to 3-4 players?

[/ QUOTE ]

just use the same range you always use on the button or co. your attempt to steal blinds should be around 30-35 regulary so now your pfr will be about that high. probably a bit higher since you will be raising from the blinds as well.

blackize 11-02-2005 02:50 AM

This is all horrible advice and is likely to get you KILLED playing 3 and 4 handed

Edit: Having played 10k hands 3/4 handed in the last couple weeks, I have not seen a single successful player with stats like those advocated in this thread. You can play a ton more hands but you must be more passive preflop

angst 11-02-2005 02:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is all horrible advice and is likely to get you KILLED playing 3 and 4 handed

[/ QUOTE ]

Care to elaborate?

Victor 11-02-2005 01:22 PM

once again the expert jumps in with a blanket statement and no analysis or evidence.

blackize 11-03-2005 04:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
once again the expert jumps in with a blanket statement and no analysis or evidence.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh I'm sorry all the other players giving terrible advice without any analysis or evidence are right huh? Is it because they have higher post counts? I made the switch to playing primarily 3 and 4 handed 2 months ago. I have only been using PT for a couple weeks. I have 10k+ hands logged of 3 and 4 handed play.

I dont want to claim that my way of playing is optimal, but I did feel it necessary to point out that the advice given in this thread is not good. Every player with stats like those is an overall loser in my database.

So Victor how about you treat everyone the same. If everyone else can make blanket statements when most of them DO NOT PLAY 3 and 4 handed for any significant amount of time then don't jump on my ass.