Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Shorthanded (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   AQs hand (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=310614)

BreakfastBurrito 08-08-2005 04:46 PM

AQs hand

party 3/6 6 max, 6 handed. I open raise AQs on the button, sb calls, bb 3 bets, and I cap, sb now folds and bb calls. At this point I have no reads on BB aside from that he doesn't appear to be a mega-donk.

Flop is T 6 4 rainbow. BB leads and I raise, BB calls.

Turn is a blank. BB checks, I bet. How does it look so far?

aK13 08-08-2005 06:03 PM

Re: AQs hand

Given your play, I check the turn through, call a river bet UI.

Lost Wages 08-08-2005 06:07 PM

He 3-bets preflop after there has already been a caller to your apparent steal, then he leads the flop after you capped. By that point I'm probably going to give him credit for a hand that's better than AQ. Likely a pocket pair or maybe AK. Not too many guys are going to play something like A9/KJ that way unless he thinks you're a kook. I don't mind the flop raise but if you are going to raise then it should be with the intention of taking the free turn card.

Lost Wages

mdeck 08-08-2005 06:14 PM

I agree, raise the flop for a turn free card. I'm inclined to check/fold the river unimproved vs. an unknown. Is that too weak tight?

To the OP: Given your line, are you folding to a turn checkraise or paying off? I wouldn't bet the turn unless I can fold to a checkraise, and for the same bet seeing a showdown would be preferable IMO.

BreakfastBurrito 08-08-2005 06:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Given your line, are you folding to a turn checkraise or paying off?

[/ QUOTE ]

The intent was to fold to a checkraise. The thinking though was that a checkraise was very unlikely from less than KK and I give myself the chance to make an extra bet if I improve on the river while still giving a pocket pair a chance to fold the turn.

Lost Wages 08-08-2005 06:30 PM

Not likely that a pocket pair is going to fold to a turn blank after calling your flop raise. Especially given that it's a steal/defend situation and that the pot has gotten fairly large.

Lost Wages

BreakfastBurrito 08-08-2005 06:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
By that point I'm probably going to give him credit for a hand that's better than AQ. Likely a pocket pair or maybe AK.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't at least part of the reason for the raise to attempt to push him off the pocket pair or AK? The way I saw it, the only chance I had to do that was by following up on the turn. Is the main reason for the recommended turn check the fear of a checkraise by a worse hand or a pocket pair that I have two overcards to?

Lost Wages 08-08-2005 09:27 PM

A pair or AK just isn't folding here given the circumstaces. The reasons for checking the turn are twofold.

1) He isn't folding a better hand and it's not likely that you have the best hand so you are just betting his hand for him.

2) If you are checkraised then you have to decide whether or not to call. If you are behind then you have somewhere between 0-6 outs. The problem is, you don't know which it is. If it's 6 then you have odds to call, if it's 3 or zero then you don't. So, no matter if you call or fold there is a reasonable chance that you are making a mistake.

Lost Wages