Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   News, Views, and Gossip (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   What is wrong with you people??? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=786)

03-21-2002 01:19 AM

What is wrong with you people???

6-12 game at the Mirage tonight. 2 suckers playing every hand and 8 players of varying reasonableness. These 2 players ARE the game.

When the game started up, one of them talked to the floor, stating that his friend only spoke Croatian, and asked if he would be able to clarify anything confusing for his friend. After much discussion, the floor said that it was OK if one was out of the hand. No big deal.

They proceed to both play almost every hand for 3 hours. They were relatively passive as well. After 3 hours, the non-english guy posts behind the button. It is his action, and he is confused about what his options are. His friend, who had folded, starts explaining to him in Croatian what the situation is. The player clearly cannot understand the dealer. The players at the table, many of whom were bad beat by these guys, start screaming about the language thing. The floorman is from a different shift and declares no talking. I speak up, mention that it hadn't been an issue, and verify that the previous shift floor had, in fact, agreed to let them talk in exactly this situation. I defend them. The floor rules against them. No foreign language under any circumstances.

This is the first time in THREE HOURS that they had talked. Zilch, nada, nothing in non-english. They played fast and were making the game. This is a clear case of poor customer relations and inappropriate application of a rule.

They racked up shortly afterwards. When I asked the english speaking guy why they were leaving he said : "I don't play to make money, I play to have fun. This game isn't fun."

They left, I more or less yelled at two regulars who should have known better than to make it an issue, and I racked up, leaving the table 7 handed with no fish and no list.

What the hell are these people thinking?

03-21-2002 07:59 AM

Re: What is wrong with you people???

It's called cutting off your nose to spite your face. Utter stupidity.

03-21-2002 10:17 AM

clarkmeister, of course you are right 100% but what good does it do to slam into the idiot regulars? the foreign tourists were going to win or lose their money anyways and then you never see them again, but the regulars you will see again, well, tomorrow, and the next day, and the next. clearly the regulars are not thinking at your level and likely are not as good as you, thus your admonition only wisened them up some, or a lot, to your truer nature. maybe before they thought good ol dave was just there to gambool as well, or maybe they saw thru that and knew better but know they know for sure, and will adjust their play against you. but maybe not, or you can adjust to their adjustments, but bottom line, i would have just racked up in silence and headed over to the live 15-30 game :o)

03-21-2002 12:19 PM

Du har helt ret ...

... at skrĉmme tyrene ud af spillet - er virkelig dumt - pga en teknisk fejl ;-)

03-21-2002 12:55 PM

There's nothing wrong with letting the regulars know about their stupidity in this regard. If they play with Clarkmeister, they should already know he's a tough player. They should also know to let the fish be. If two tourists sitting there making a game it's quite a bit different that if they're two pros trying gain an additional advantage. Some people have no sense when it comes to enforcing rules on bad players, and I doubt it hurts to let them know it.

03-21-2002 01:10 PM

I agree *NM*

03-21-2002 02:12 PM

I think you make a good point, and I think kb's response also makes a good point.

The problem is that this is all too common in Vegas. Some of the regulars insist on whining every time they get beat. Like getting dealt AK is a guarantee of winning a pot. They had been whining the whole afternoon. In some way they feel that if they insult the poor player, or make him feel bad, that is only fair since he bad beat them. Its insane.

One of these dudes cold called 2 with 78o against me. Flopped a gutshot in a 3 way pot and called the turn. Hit his straight on the river. 4 outer. This guy is a dream, but I had to deal with half the table trying to comfort me. The problem is that I didn't need or want comforting. This dude was drawing to 4 freaking cards in a 6BB pot. You don't get overlays like that very often. I simply don't understand these regulars mentality. I actually had to defend his turn call out loud to get these people to shut up.

Had to vent.......but you make a good point, I'll try and make more lucid conversation with the regulars rather than stooping to their tactics. I could have made my point in a less confrontational manner.

03-21-2002 02:15 PM

Uhhhhh, sure, I guess...... *NM*

03-21-2002 02:55 PM

"The problem is that this is all too common in Vegas. Some of the regulars insist on whining every time they get beat. Like getting dealt AK is a guarantee of winning a pot. They had been whining the whole afternoon. In some way they feel that if they insult the poor player, or make him feel bad, that is only fair since he bad beat them. Its insane."

trust me, i know the kind of player you are describing, exactly, and they aren't just exclusive to vegas but worldwide i'm sure. somewhat sensible players, yet how can they miss the big picture by so much? it IS crazy, and yes they had it coming, please know i was not judging you by your responce but merely adding how i would have TRIED to handle it, which is trying to not let my true emotions show, pokerface as it were.best wishes

ps. i'm serious about this weekend, please wear your illinois cap as i would like to meet you and get introduced to maybe Dynasty, Dave in cali, pokerbabe (aka), vince, pokerguy,2d, and anyone i missed as i'm sure you can't have too many poker friends, especially if they live in vegas!... i'm a nice guy!, really!, although i have been known to post a fuzzy thinking post or three.Please don't hold that agin me...

03-21-2002 03:07 PM

I'm not around as much on the weekends, especially this one with the NCAA tourney going on, but ask the brush at the Mirage for "Dave C who plays 6-12 holdem". They will know if I am there. I'll try and wear the hat. Its white with an orange "I" on the front.