Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   News, Views, and Gossip (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Citizenship Abroad to Avoid Paying Taxes... (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=273229)

Diplomat 06-15-2005 06:46 PM

Re: Citizenship Abroad to Avoid Paying Taxes...

I'll be more direct. It would suck to denounce US citizenship for, say, Canadian citizenship, and then have the Canadian government decide to tax gambling. Now you are stuck up here, paying taxes anyway. (not that it would be so bad. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img])

-Diplomat

Jax_Grinder 06-15-2005 08:50 PM

Game, set, match.

I, however, do not believe the OP is a net winner such that he would be in the hole to Uncle Sam the tune of $100,000 in income tax.

theBruiser500 06-15-2005 09:29 PM

kkf, interesting idea, but money is money, and not too important. lose some money for flexibility in your life

querulous 06-15-2005 09:31 PM

Set up an offshore corporation. Hire yourself as a contractor, paying whatever minimum amount you think you can convince the authorities you live on. Buy everything else through the company. You'll probably have to move offshore for this to work, but you can retain US citizenship.

3rdCheckRaise 06-15-2005 11:44 PM

Try one of the Baltic countries of old Soviet block. THey sell citizinship for nominal price and working on getting into EU.

Olof 06-16-2005 12:22 AM

The Baltic states are already in the EU. I don't know if this has made it harder to become a citizen, but it certainly wouldn't surprise me.

meow_meow 06-16-2005 12:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
why? i dont want bolivian citizenship. im talking uk, france, swiss , etc...

[ QUOTE ]
This is a pretty bad idea if you plan on doing anything for a living besides gambling, and because laws are never static.

-Diplomat

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, go for Swiss. By far the easiest to get, and no worries about military service since they are neutral and all.... [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

You do realize that in most cases, "neutral" does not mean pacifist, but rather "I guess we are on our own against everybody."
linky

-Diplomat

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummmm, exactly. You think the military service is the tough part, you should look into Swiss citizenship. Also, adjust sarcasm detector accordingly.

What, the [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] wasn't enough of a hint for you?

mackthefork 06-16-2005 03:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ummmm, exactly. You think the military service is the tough part, you should look into Swiss citizenship. Also, adjust sarcasm detector accordingly.

[/ QUOTE ]

By what standards can anyone possibly judge the Swiss to ever have been neutral. Politics forum Mack, bahave now.

Mack

Diplomat 06-16-2005 06:43 PM

Yeah, mine is in the shop right now. I figured after the fact.

-Diplomat

srw5n 06-17-2005 04:31 PM

however, I believe if you are filing a schedule C and therefore as aa professional playing poker with the expectation of income (also can deduct expenses and get to agg.) then I believe the exemption applies. If your lumping in other income, it doesn't...