Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro-Limits (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   How much time did it take you to become successful? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=331834)

AcidJazz 09-07-2005 05:53 PM

How much time did it take you to become successful?

Successful being at least winning money overall. How much did it cost you too? Any interesting stories?

Paxosmotic 09-07-2005 05:56 PM

Re: How much time did it take you to become successful?

About 2 hours. I've cashed out and redeposited for bonus purposes many times, but my initial $50 is now in the range of $3,000, although I've famously never spent a dime of my poker winnings (it's just sitting in my bank account).

09-07-2005 07:28 PM

I broke even for the first few hours, and have been ahead every since.

09-07-2005 07:32 PM

not to sound cocky, but pretty much since i started. like i always say "i'm not that good, but they're so much worse."

turaho 09-07-2005 07:37 PM

I burned about $1000 when I first started playing about about two years ago. I read Hellmuth's book (btw, burn in hell Hellmuth), put in $100 at Paradise, ran hot for the first 500 hands or so, and thought I was God's gift to poker. Then I lost it all redeposited. And redeposited. And redeposited.

Took a break, played off and on for awhile, then decided at the beginning of this year to figure poker out. Discovered these boards and SSHE, worked my way up from .25/.50 and now I'm beating 2/4 for 2.5BB/100 and looking to move to 3/6 when I get 15k hands under my belt (although I'm bankrolled for 5/10--woo hoo!)

It takes time and an almost single-minded discipline to get good at this game. But it's worth it.

Saint_D 09-07-2005 07:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I broke even for the first few hours, and have been ahead every since.

[/ QUOTE ]

I won @ the .5/1 after I read SSH and got poker tracker. Before that I dropped $50 like a hot rock.

I just took a major beating at .5/1 of over 100BB. I am pretty sure it was just variance (some marginal play, but I am confident my win rate at that limit is 2+bb/100 with that same marginal play).

If i had been cold decked so hard when I started, I wouldn't still play.

So profitable from the word go is possible, but variance could wipe out anyones first 50BB deposit.

You need at least 10K hands, and better yet 50K to say if you are profitable or just on a hot streak for sure.

-D

Rev. Good Will 09-07-2005 07:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
not to sound cocky, but pretty much since i started. like i always say "i'm not that good, but they're so much worse."

[/ QUOTE ]

word.

same for me, though I got plenty of practice playing unhuman amounts of limit play money [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] (to be fair, as soon as I turned 18, I started real)

MrWookie47 09-07-2005 07:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

word.

same for me, though I got plenty of practice playing unhuman amounts of limit play money [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] (to be fair, as soon as I turned 18, I started real)

[/ QUOTE ]

I did the play money thing, too. I'm naturally very risk averse, so I wanted to make damn sure that poker was a winning proposition before I played for real money.

09-07-2005 07:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I read Hellmuth's book (btw, burn in hell Hellmuth), put in $100 at Paradise, ran hot for the first 500 hands or so, and thought I was God's gift to poker. Then I lost it all redeposited. And redeposited. And redeposited.

[/ QUOTE ] Heh I know what that feels like, I bought Hellmuth's book too and took a beating at 1/2, lost $100 of a $200 deposit after I stopped running hot. Stopped playing, bought Lee Jones' book, won my money back, and have been slowly improving ever since. SSHE is probably the best investment I made for my poker game.

Deamon2 09-07-2005 08:22 PM

assuming that now I am playing winning poker (I suspect that I am, 14k hands in at .5/1 running at 2.7 BB/100), it took me about a year to do it. And it wasn't easy.