Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Show me a good bluff....PLEASE! (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=280276)

HoldEmKillah 06-25-2005 02:34 PM

Show me a good bluff....PLEASE!

Bluffing is one, if not the biggest, leak in my game. I do it too often and usually at the wrong times. Frankly, I feel that I am more profitable when I remove bluffing completely from my game. Of course, this strategy isn't optimal therefore I need to learn how to bluff in a +EV way.

So please help me out by either posting HH's that display good bluffing techniques, provide words of wisdom, bluffing theory, whatever. Just please help me repair this horrible leak of mine. Thoughts?

Thanks,
HEK

kagame 06-25-2005 02:39 PM

Re: Show me a good bluff....PLEASE!

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

Hero ($594)
CO ($1078.27)
Button ($588)
SB ($914.8)
BB ($573.1)
UTG ($1158.21)

Preflop: Hero is MP with 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $3.
UTG calls $6, Hero calls $6, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB (poster) completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($24) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $20</font>, BB folds, UTG folds, Hero calls $20.

Turn: ($64) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $40</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $95</font>, SB calls $55.

River: ($254) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $125</font>, SB folds.

Final Pot: $379

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has 4h 8h (high card, king).
Outcome: Hero wins $379. </font>

HoldEmKillah 06-25-2005 02:58 PM

Kagame,

Can you explain your thought process with this hand? For instance, was this opponent-dependent? Was the flop call a delay-bluff? Why fire again on the river if he has show so much strength? On the surface this play looks quite a bit ballsy so I'd like to know why you decided this hand and this opponent was the right spot.

Thx,
HEK

captZEEbo1 06-25-2005 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

Hero ($594)
CO ($1078.27)
Button ($588)
SB ($914.8)
BB ($573.1)
UTG ($1158.21)

Preflop: Hero is MP with 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $3.
UTG calls $6, Hero calls $6, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB (poster) completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($24) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $20</font>, BB folds, UTG folds, Hero calls $20.

Turn: ($64) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $40</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $95</font>, SB calls $55.

River: ($254) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: $379

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has 4h 8h (high card, king).
Outcome: Hero wins $379. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that really a good bluff? What on earth are you representing? I have a feeling you had roughly the best hand (he definitely didn't have a pair of kings, he probably had a missed flush draw, so he might've had you slightly outkicked, or randomly hit a different pair on the way to his flush draw). This bluff is NOT good though, because pot is really small and you are representing nothing.

HoldEmKillah 06-25-2005 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I have a feeling you had roughly the best hand ... so he might've had you slightly outkicked, or randomly hit a different pair on the way to his flush draw).

[/ QUOTE ]

He didn't hit a pair. Kagame has no pair/no draw which leads me to another question: why bother bluffing with nothing? Shouldn't a bluffer always leave himself outs?

AZK 06-25-2005 04:18 PM

Why bother bluffing a pot with no money in it? It's not like you are tied to this pot or anything, have a lot on the line...

AZK 06-25-2005 04:20 PM

It got mixed/controversial responses on the board, but look up Gift of Gabs Commerce 10/20 hand a while back...I think that is a good bluff.

soah 06-25-2005 04:52 PM

I limp with something, others limp behind, bb makes some raise that's much too small to chase me out, so I call, everyone else calls, five to the flop. Flop is ace high and I have some sort of a draw at something. BB bets some amount, I call, everyone else folds. Turn is a blank and BB checks, so I take the pot.

Sorry for the lack of detail... you can still follow the logic behind the hand without it though. I call on the flop because I have a strong draw, any my opponents absolutely hate folding, so there's no point in raising. I figure someone must have an ace. But everyone folds and the preflop raiser checks the turn, at which point I realize that he doesn't have (or can beat) an ace and assumes that I have it.

MoDOH 06-25-2005 05:10 PM

Here is one... good? I donīt know...

SB in this hand is of average aggr. and skill. Once he checked the flop I put him on either AK or or a med. PP.

MP:s underbet is his way of trying to steal pots...

Hero ($574.34)
Button ($327.5)
SB ($202.45)
BB ($127.55)
UTG ($352)
MP ($588.55)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $1.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls $2, Hero calls $2, Button calls $2, <font color="#CC3333">SB (poster) raises to $9</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls $8, Hero calls $8, Button folds.

Flop: ($34) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets $5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $30</font>, SB calls $30, MP folds.

Turn: ($99) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $65</font>, SB calls $65.

River: ($229) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: $354

HoldEmKillah 06-25-2005 05:43 PM

Re: Here is one... good? I donīt know...

But why would you fire again on the river here though? He raises the flop then calls your big reraise and your almost pot-sized turn bet. It don't look like a draw to me. To me it says "I have a Q and I'm not layin' it down." So why bet the river?

This is what I'm talking about when I say "show me a good bluff." In Kagame and MoDOH's hands, there were clearly succussful but I think, in both cases, they were lucky not to get called down on the end or c/r'd on a previous street.

So we have all heard that bluffing is about telling story about your hand that you want your opponent to believe. Does anyone have a hand like that where you can walk me through the entire thought process? It would help a great deal since, as I said, my bluff stories suck.

btw, AZK I'll look for that commerce thread. Thanks.