Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Flopped nut straight, then saw a scary turn (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=221566)

FoxwoodsFiend 03-28-2005 03:13 PM

Flopped nut straight, then saw a scary turn

Only relevant opponent is a pretty tight, solid player. He has around $450 and I have him covered.
2/4 No Limit
Hero is SB w/4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
4 limpers, Hero completes, BB checks.
Flop: 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Hero checks, BB bets $10, 3 folds, Villain raises to 30, Hero raises to 135, BB folds. Villain thinks for a good 20 seconds and calls.
Turn: 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
I check, he bets $100.
So my thinking is on the flop he either had a set or a flush draw...it seems like a pretty routine fold here...does anybody call here? If so, what do you do on the river depending on if a diamond comes? Also, should I block bet the turn to give him a chance to define his hand?

HoldEm_Hero 03-28-2005 03:41 PM

Re: Flopped nut straight, then saw a scary turn

Your still way ahead.

aggie 03-28-2005 03:47 PM

Stack sizes?

Chances are there is no way i'm folding this turn but i guess it depends on the player (for whom we have no description). why did you have him on a set or flush draw?

There is no doubt in my mind that block betting is better than check folding

stealyourface 03-28-2005 03:49 PM

I think you should throw out a blocking bet on the turn and if he flat calls and bets a river diamond i would fold. If he raises your turn bet you got a decision to make, but i suspect he has something like A4 or 66, 77, etc.

FoxwoodsFiend 03-28-2005 04:35 PM

Stack sizes are in the original post-he has 450, I have him covered. I think he has a set or draw because I've never seen him get out of line for a big pot and he took enough time that it seemed like he was facing a genuinely tough decision (obviously making a set more likely than a draw, but it's hard to predict when people overvalue draws so he might have been talking himself into a call with diamonds)

FoxwoodsFiend 03-28-2005 04:36 PM

a) Why do you think I'm still good here?
b) If so, what's your action on the river if it's a non-diamond or if it's a diamond?

Murs316 03-28-2005 04:38 PM

Say the pot is at about $300... If you are making a block bet on the turn, what is a good sized bet?

NickPoker 03-28-2005 04:54 PM

Is a middle pocket pair out of the question? I think that is just as likely as a set. When you checked you showed weakness, so he may be trying to steal the pot (or think he is good with a lesser hand than you). I think you made a mistake by giving up control of the hand, I would have bet the turn for around $100, and see what he does. If he pushes you have a tough decision, but I still may call.
What is your table image? Maybe he put you on a draw.
In my opinion he has a range of hands of:
PP 22 through 10/10, excluding 4/4, Flush draw, or A5s.

freemoney 03-28-2005 04:58 PM

a genuinely tough decision? do you think its a tough decision for him to call on a 2-3-5 flop with a set? would he really be thinking about folding a set here? he has to put you squarely on way too narrow a range of hands.

aggie 03-28-2005 05:09 PM

sry, missed the stack size...After the flop, there is 300 in the pot and villian has 300 left. If villian flopped a set, he likely would have reraised the flop for fear of all the draws....Bet 175 on the turn with the intention of getting it all in. I think you are ahead here more often than not. Villian could have: str8 draw, flush draw, overpair, etc. He reall has not done anything to indicate a set.