Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Top 5 sports games of the last 5 years (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=406596)

xorbie 12-28-2005 03:54 PM

Top 5 sports games of the last 5 years

My thoughts later.

Hornacek 12-28-2005 04:12 PM

Re: Top 5 sports games of the last 5 years

As much as it pains me to say so, Ohio State-Miami has to be in that discussion.

Some other 4 off the top of my head:

New England-St Louis Super Bowl
NYY-Arizona Diamondbacks Game 7
Pistons-Pacers brawl
NYY-BOS 2004 Game 7

I considered this most memorable games. The brawl wasn't a good game at all, but it surely was memorable and had a huge impact on sports within the last five years. If its the BEST games, I might have to take that game out and put in Agassi-Sampras 2002 US Open Final. The end of an era.

pokerdirty 12-28-2005 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
NYY-BOS Game 7 last year

[/ QUOTE ]

certainly you mean 2003, the year the yankees won. in 2004, the game was over before it started. sure, it was 'memorable', or in my case 'forgettable', because they were the first team to come back from 3 down in MLB, but it wasn't much of a game.

thatpfunk 12-28-2005 04:15 PM

notre dame-usc is the most excited/emotional i can remember being during a game in the last few years.

Hornacek 12-28-2005 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
NYY-BOS Game 7 last year

[/ QUOTE ]

certainly you mean 2003, the year the yankees won. in 2004, the game was over before it started. sure, it was 'memorable', or in my case 'forgettable', because they were the first team to come back from 3 down in MLB, but it wasn't much of a game.

[/ QUOTE ]

If its a "memorable" list, have the 2004 game. If its "best", include the 2003 game instead.

IHateKeithSmart 12-28-2005 04:26 PM

I'd vote for the 2005 Rose Bowl Texas vs. Michigan. I actually don't even like college football, but this was a great game.

johnnybeef 12-28-2005 04:26 PM

hmmm, difficult to say. but off the top of my head, i think that the az-illinois game last year would be up there along with the uk msu game. the osu um triple ot game is obviously on the list. i think that the last two would have to be the ne carolina super bowl, and usc notre dame of this year. honorary mention should go to the az nyy game 7. this is certainly not set in stone though.

12-28-2005 04:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
NYY-BOS Game 7 last year

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Certainly you mean Game 7 2001 WS Diamondbacks v. Yankees.

Clemens v. Schilling. Mentor v. Mentee. Soriano hits solo shot off of Schilling to take 2-1 lead late in game. D-Backs come back off of Rivera with good guys Grace and Gonzalez playing huge parts.

Best baseball game I've seen. I know you are Yankees fan but you have to admit it was a great game, win or lose.

johnnybeef 12-28-2005 04:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd vote for the 2005 Rose Bowl Texas vs. Michigan. I actually don't even like college football, but this was a great game.

[/ QUOTE ]

touche

TomHimself 12-28-2005 04:29 PM

i really dont remember if the game was good or not but larry johnsons 4 point shot against pacers could probaly be put in top 10 games just for that

Hornacek 12-28-2005 04:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
NYY-BOS Game 7 last year

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Clemens v. Schilling. Mentor v. Mentee. Soriano hits solo shot off of Schilling to take 2-1 lead late in game. D-Backs come back off of Rivera with good guys Grace and Gonzalez playing huge parts.

Best baseball game I've seen. I know you are Yankees fan but you have to admit it was a great game, win or lose.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow you REALLLLLLLLLLLY need to work on your reading skills. Read my original post.

And I was thinking about including UM-UT Rose Bowl, but I wasn't sure if I was too biased into choosing that one. Good to know others liked that game.

12-28-2005 04:33 PM

1997 WS Game 7 Marlins defeat Indians 3-2 in 11 innings, and it's not even close.

xorbie 12-28-2005 04:34 PM

this is harder than i thought, but here was my original list:

st louis vs pats superbowls
pats vs panthers superbowl
arizona vs illinois
pistons/nets crazy overtime game
red sox vs yankees games 4-7 really (2004)

i dont really like college football, but i have to say a few of those should be up there.

Hornacek 12-28-2005 04:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1997 WS Game 7 Marlins defeat Indians 3-2 in 11 innings, and it's not even close.

[/ QUOTE ]

And you need to work on your math skills. 2005-1997 is eight years ago (9 if you count this past year), and its not even close to 5.

pokerdirty 12-28-2005 04:37 PM

2002 Fiesta Bowl - tOSU vs theU
2003 ALCS Game 7 - BOS @ NYY
*insert a Pats game w/ Viniteri GW FG here*

nothing else really that memorable to me, but then again, I don't really watch the NFL or NBA or CBB.

pokerdirty 12-28-2005 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
NYY-BOS Game 7 last year

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

go away.

pokerdirty 12-28-2005 04:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
this is harder than i thought, but here was my original list:

st louis vs pats superbowls
pats vs panthers superbowl
arizona vs illinois
pistons/nets crazy overtime game
red sox vs yankees games 4-7 really (2004)

i dont really like college football, but i have to say a few of those should be up there.

[/ QUOTE ]

you picked 8 games. the only game of that red sox yankees set IIRC was game 5. You know, the one where the Tony Clark hit a ball into RF at Fenway, that would have scored the runner from first for the go ahead, instead, it was a ground rule double because of that illegal 2 foot fence.

DCWildcat 12-28-2005 04:43 PM

1. Notre Dame/USC this season. One of the greatest college football games of all time.
2. Potentially a bunch of the NCAA tournament games last year. UK/Mich St, Wake-West VA, Arizona-Ill. were amazing games. I can't pick one.
3. Patriots/Raiders AFC Championship game 2002
4. Titans-Rams Super Bowl, 2000. Tackled on the 1 yard line as time expires, stretching for the end zone? Priceless.

Having trouble thinking of the 5th, esp. since I don't give a [censored] about baseball

Hornacek 12-28-2005 04:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1. Notre Dame/USC this season. One of the greatest college football games of all time.
2. Potentially a bunch of the NCAA tournament games last year. UK/Mich St, Wake-West VA, Arizona-Ill. were amazing games. I can't pick one.
4. Titans-Rams Super Bowl, 2000. Tackled on the 1 yard line as time expires, stretching for the end zone? Priceless.

Having trouble thinking of the 5th, esp. since I don't give a [censored] about baseball

[/ QUOTE ]

The Titans-Rams SB wasn't that exciting. The first three quarters were actually quite boring IMO. It was just the last 10 minutes that made it "memorable", but not necessarily great.

12-28-2005 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
NYY-BOS Game 7 last year

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wow you REALLLLLLLLLLLY need to work on your reading skills. Read my original post.

And I was thinking about including UM-UT Rose Bowl, but I wasn't sure if I was too biased into choosing that one. Good to know others liked that game.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did not recall you posting NYY/ARI.

Sorry.

I'm also sorry I wasted my time writing out an entire paragraph about the game and why it was memorable. Jeesh.

DCWildcat 12-28-2005 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The Titans-Rams SB wasn't that exciting. The first three quarters were actually quite boring IMO. It was just the last 10 minutes that made it "memorable", but not necessarily great.

[/ QUOTE ]

True, I was probably giving too much credit to the finish. Any suggestions for a replacement?

TheNoodleMan 12-28-2005 05:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i really dont remember if the game was good or not but larry johnsons 4 point shot against pacers could probaly be put in top 10 games just for that

[/ QUOTE ]
That game was in 1999, and it really wouldn't be in the discussion for top 10 even if it was in the last 5 years.

TheNoodleMan 12-28-2005 05:13 PM

I can't believe no one has mentioned the Lakers vs. Spurs game 5 in the 2004 Western conference finals. Tim Duncan hitting a tough off balance shot to take the lead with less than a second remaining only to have Derek Fisher hit a miracle shot at the other end.

ibankonu 12-28-2005 05:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Arizona 96 - Gonzaga 95 in double OT in the 2003 tourney. I remember watching that game and being on the edge of my seat from midway through the first half on.

Dudd 12-28-2005 05:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Arizona 96 - Gonzaga 95 in double OT in the 2003 tourney. I remember watching that game and being on the edge of my seat from midway through the first half on.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this. Great game.

Jules22 12-28-2005 06:17 PM

2002 ncaa football title game ohio state vs miami was real good i thought

Matt Williams 12-28-2005 06:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am a Yankee fan and I consider it the greatest baseball game I ever saw. The entire game was unreal. Yanks on the verge of 4th championship in a row with Mo on the mound. When they lost, I wasn't even upset because I knew both teams played to the best of their abilities and that's all you can ask.

12-28-2005 06:39 PM

Was the Jets/Dolphins MNF Crazy game in the last 5 years? This might be the best sports event I have ever witnessed. Too lazy to look it up though.

Brief Summary:
Jets down something like 30 going into the 4th quarter and the stadium was emptying. They come back all the way and people are turning around on the freeway. At the end, one of the lineman caught a gigantic TD as an eligible reciever.

istewart 12-28-2005 07:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't believe no one has mentioned the Lakers vs. Spurs game 5 in the 2004 Western conference finals. Tim Duncan hitting a tough off balance shot to take the lead with less than a second remaining only to have Derek Fisher hit a miracle shot at the other end.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't read the whole thread but this has gotta be on the list... at least for me. Awesome [censored] game.

Weatherhead03 12-28-2005 07:15 PM

Am I the only one that thinks Michael Jordons last game ever was one of the best? I just re watched that game the other night and it was so good, especially that ending.

TheNoodleMan 12-28-2005 07:22 PM

Anything Jordan did in a Wiz uni deserves no mention in this thread.

Weatherhead03 12-28-2005 08:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anything Jordan did in a Wiz uni deserves no mention in this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay I was talking about his last REAL game..Wiz games dont count.

TheNoodleMan 12-28-2005 08:41 PM

Okay, so you think 1998 was within the last 5 years then? It ain't trig folks.

MyTurn2Raise 12-28-2005 09:03 PM

Illinois-Arizona 2005 bball
Michigan-Texas 2005 Rose Bowl
Spurs-Lakes 2004 NBA Duncan and Fisher trading shots
Cubs-Marlins 2003 Bartman game
Yanks-Red Sox 2003 Boone Home Run

lapoker17 12-28-2005 09:08 PM

gatti v ward I
barrera v morales I
gatti v ward III
pats v raiders afc champ
a bunch of inexplicable robert horry moments

BottlesOf 12-28-2005 09:36 PM

I think the list would probably include a lot of games most people didn't see, such as semi-obscure college bball or football.

Of the big ones, I think the 2003 ALCS game 7 should be on there.

TheHip41 12-28-2005 09:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

1997 + 5 years = you are retarded

IHateKeithSmart 12-28-2005 09:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What about the Titans wild card game from that year? The music city miracle. That was damn exciting. Memorable, if not a 'best' game.

pokerdirty 12-28-2005 10:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What about the Titans wild card game from that year? The music city miracle. That was damn exciting. Memorable, if not a 'best' game.

[/ QUOTE ]

2000=6yrs ago?

New001 12-28-2005 10:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Illinois-Arizona 2005 bball

[/ QUOTE ]
I can't believe you were the first to say this one.