Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Multi-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   LAGs and Making Moves (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=358197)

Sam T. 10-15-2005 11:44 AM

LAGs and Making Moves

Hi all,

I tried a threadjack on Adanthar's Finding my LAG gear post, but nobody bit, so I'll start a new one.

We spend a lot of time talking about how to play TAG poker - how to deal with strong hands when deep-stacked or when to push when short. But that's only going to get you so far. If the deck hits you and you win a couple of coinflips, you're in good shape, but if not...GG, all. What I'm trying to figure out are the best times to make pure aggression pay - you're betting big with two cards and a ton of FE. Some examples that have taken my thinking in this direction include:
<ul type="square"> [*]An MLG post noting that if you never push over the top of a CO raise (with no hand at all), you are doing something wrong.
[*]Atticus (I think, but it might have been Adanthar) started a thread on re-steals, and shoving with cheese. Again, FE does the job for you.
[*]ZeeJustin shoving with JTo in a very odd WPT hand (disucssed on that board).
[*]Adanthar shoving with Q2 (maybe Q4?) on the bubble in his recent win, or shoving into a monotone board with a pair of nines in his LAG gear post.[/list]
In every case, the Hero is committing his chips when there is a very good chance (or at least a decent possibility) that he is behind (sometimes waay behind), but knowing that he has a ton of folding equity.

My question is this: what are the situations when you make the decision to drop it into LAG gear? I'll nominate a few:

<ul type="square">[*] The bubbles, of course, whether getting ITM or as the payout structure gets steep. Nothing bothers me more than not being aggressive enough on the FT bubble.
[*] A scary, scary flop. Shoving the monotone flop in a raised pot is a good example.
[*]Squeeze play, ala Harrington. (Loose raiser, one caller, then you make a big raise without much of a hand at all.)[/list]
What would you add or change?

Eagerly awaiting some help finding my LAG,

Sam

10-15-2005 01:29 PM

Re: LAGs and Making Moves

Very important to note that this is player dependent. I'm frequently at a table in a 5+.50 in which I think bluffing is always -EV.

[ QUOTE ]
If the deck hits you and you win a couple of coinflips, you're in good shape, but if not...GG, all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Remember that only needing to hit a few coinflips in order to win a tournament is a wonderful situation.

Sam T. 10-15-2005 01:34 PM

Re: LAGs and Making Moves

[ QUOTE ]
Very important to note that this is player dependent. I'm frequently at a table in a 5+.50 in which I think bluffing is always -EV.

[ QUOTE ]
If the deck hits you and you win a couple of coinflips, you're in good shape, but if not...GG, all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Remember that only needing to hit a few coinflips in order to win a tournament is a wonderful situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yah, I sould have added that the blinds are high in relation to your or your opponent's stack. Until hour three, getting fancy is almost always -EV.

I meant good shape to money - winning is something else altogether.