Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Science, Math, and Philosophy (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Differences Between Religions And Cults (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=361943)

MMMMMM 10-20-2005 07:44 PM

Differences Between Religions And Cults

I'm just wondering what the differences are, and also what the overlaps are, between the two. Let's not presume that a certain size or number of adherents helps differentiate a religion from a cult; rather, I'm curious as to the qualitative differences and similarities.

10-20-2005 08:13 PM

Re: Differences Between Religions And Cults

well, webster's defines a cult as 'a group of people with a strong shared belief', SO the word cult refers to a group of people, whereas religion refers to an ideology.

10-20-2005 08:18 PM

I DO presume that the size is the only real difference, but if you want to know more differences, here are a few but they are indirectly related to the size issue.

Religions have more political power.
Religions have better marketing.
Most religions have longer histories of existence than cults.
Some religions have stories that are slightly less far-fetched than some of the more extreme cults. That has probably helped them a little in gaining followers vs. some extreme cults that have trouble persuading even the most vulnerable of potential members. However, if you ask a non-believer to evaluate the credibility of the stories of one random religion vs. one random cult, I don't think they'd find a nickel's worth of difference.

10-20-2005 09:14 PM

Mass acceptance.

10-21-2005 10:28 AM

If you're in it, it's a religion. If not, it's a cult.

SheetWise 10-21-2005 11:36 AM

Cult is just a word used to demonize a religion.

10-21-2005 12:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When I was in the "Protestant Christian Loop", It was commonly thought that all non-mainstream denominations were cults: Mormonism, Jehova's Witness, and sometimes even Catholicism.

Peter666 10-21-2005 12:13 PM

Technically speaking, all religions are cults.

We use the term "cult" these days to define those religions not accepted by the mainstream.

MaxPower 10-21-2005 12:25 PM

I think it is a cult if the only way to practice the religion is too follow a certain authority absolutely and without question. Also if you are forced to sever ties with family or any case in which the leader or leaders make all your decisions for you.

That is a loose definition.

By that definition none of the major religions are cults.

Some groups might be considered cults just because they believe in some goofy stuff, but that is not enough. The major religions are just as goofy, but don't seem that way because they have been around so long.

Superfluous Man 10-21-2005 12:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Religion is just a word used to legitimize a cult.