Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   What are quarters/trimesters/semesters? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=403624)

partygirluk 12-22-2005 07:09 PM

What are quarters/trimesters/semesters?

Some U.S. schools want to know how long my courses lasted. In the UK we typically have two periods per year when you learn courses 1 from September-December one from January to April. May and June are used for exams. Every course I took lasted 1 or 2 of these periods. Is 1 of these periods a quarter, trimester or semester?

nolanfan34 12-22-2005 07:12 PM

Re: What are quarters/trimesters/semesters?

Sounds like a semester, basically.

Voltron87 12-22-2005 07:13 PM

you cant figure this out on your own? good luck getting accepted into any institution of higher learning.

partygirluk 12-22-2005 07:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you cant figure this out on your own? good luck getting accepted into any institution of higher learning.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you ever considered there is more to the world that the U.S? And that those countries have different languages and systems of education? FYI I asked a friend who is doing a masters in the U.S. and she said it was a quarter, yet the first respondent to my post said it was a semester so..................stfu

Yeti 12-22-2005 07:16 PM

Wow. Semester.

partygirluk 12-22-2005 07:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sounds like a semester, basically.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you sir.

RunDownHouse 12-22-2005 07:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
FYI I asked a friend who is doing a masters in the U.S. and she said it was a quarter

[/ QUOTE ]
Birds of a feather and all...

I get the feeling the former response was more of a criticism of your effort rather than a failure to overcome any sort of cultural barrier.

Voltron87 12-22-2005 07:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you ever considered there is more to the world that the U.S? And that those countries have different languages and systems of education? FYI I asked a friend who is doing a masters in the U.S. and she said it was a quarter, yet the first respondent to my post said it was a semester so..................stfu

[/ QUOTE ]

your friend is a [censored] idiot then. if you came from a non english speaking country then it wouldnt be a stupid question.

quarter- 4, tri- 3...

its a stupid reason to make a thread when you could easily google it and get the right answer if you were 100% sure.

partygirluk 12-22-2005 07:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

your friend is a [censored] idiot then. if you came from a non english speaking country then it wouldnt be a stupid question.

quarter- 4, tri- 3...

its a stupid reason to make a thread when you could easily google it and get the right answer if you were 100% sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well over here we have 3 terms, but only 3 of them are for learning. The 3rd is also truncated. So is that a trimester or a semester?

nolanfan34 12-22-2005 07:53 PM

More importantly, I'm assuming you're needing to put this down to transfer credits or something. I'm guessing that you're better off putting down a semester, because more credits will transfer to US schools that way. The quarter system can really screw a transfer student if they're going to a semester college, IIRC.