Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   "Orange-Out" in Detroit. (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=398790)

TripleH68 12-15-2005 03:07 AM

\"Orange-Out\" in Detroit.

Orange-Out Announced for Detroit Lions Game

Detroit, MI: The Lions Fanatics (www.thelionsfanatics.com) have officially announced an “Orange-Out” as a means of protest of the Detroit Lions December 18, 2005 football game against the Cincinnati Bengals. This protest is in direct response to the refusal of Team Owner and Chairman William Clay Ford to fire Team President and CEO Matt Millen. The Detroit Lions under President and CEO Matt Millen have failed to live up to the standards of a professional football team and have the worst record of any team in the National Football League since his hire on January 9, 2001.

As a means of protest, The Lions Fanatics are asking fans to wear the color orange to the December 18, 2005 Detroit Lions’ home game. Wearing the color orange serves two purposes.

First, the color is highly distinct and will not be confused with the Detroit Lions’ team color in an effort to maximize visibility. Second, the color orange is one of the team colors of the Detroit Lions’ December 18th opponent, the Cincinnati Bengals.

This is a passive, non-disruptive method for the fans of the Detroit Lions to show Team Owner and Chairman William Clay Ford their disgust with his inaction. It is the belief of The Lions Fanatics that this method of protest does not violate the rules of Ford Field as would “Fire Millen” t-shirts and/or signs. This action is directed at the management of the team and not the players on the field which The Lions Fanatics will continue to support.

The Lions Fanatics is an organization created and maintained by the fans of the Detroit Lions. The site acts as a central forum for all fans, regardless of age or gender, to voice their opinions and discuss various topics related to Detroit Lions football. For more information on the “Orange Out,” please contact The Lions Fanatics at Webmaster@thelionsfanatics.com or visit The Lions Fanatics website at www.thelionsfanatics.com

tolbiny 12-15-2005 04:16 AM

Re: \"Orange-Out\" in Detroit.

Thats [censored] great. How he still has a job, let alone one that makes him a millionaire, is beyond me.
At least G dub had a name going for him.

PokerFink 12-15-2005 10:31 AM

This is a fantastic idea.

Although, the name needs work. They're just ripping off the Flyers ("Orange Crush" - 2004 playoffs) and Penn State ("White Out" - see PSU vs. tOSU).

Wes ManTooth 12-15-2005 10:31 AM

Brilliant

12-15-2005 12:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Although, the name needs work. They're just ripping off the Flyers ("Orange Crush" - 2004 playoffs) and Penn State ("White Out" - see PSU vs. tOSU).

[/ QUOTE ]

Everyone's copying this. VT had Orange Effect and Maroon effect games.

unlucky513 12-15-2005 01:10 PM

who dey.

Bulldog 12-15-2005 01:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What the heck are you even talking about?

FouTight 12-15-2005 02:55 PM

how about this won't work, ask me why... okay.

The goal of these owners is to make money, for this 'orange out' to work, people have to come to the game, when they come to the game, the money is way. You are protesting with your clothes, but voting with your dollar. The only real way to make a statement is to leave the stands emtpy.

Wes ManTooth 12-15-2005 03:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
how about this won't work, ask me why... okay.

The goal of these owners is to make money, for this 'orange out' to work, people have to come to the game, when they come to the game, the money is way. You are protesting with your clothes, but voting with your dollar. The only real way to make a statement is to leave the stands emtpy.

[/ QUOTE ]

If alot of people wear orange, i think it will send a pretty good message

MarkL444 12-15-2005 03:28 PM

i think its going to work big time. the tickets have already been sold, that money was made a long time ago. fans arent wearing lions jerseys, or buying them. also this is all in the papers. the message is spreading and voices are being heard.

FouTight 12-15-2005 03:57 PM

http://images2.clinicaltools.com/ima...ites/money.jpg

pokerdirty 12-15-2005 04:18 PM

if people in detroit were actually smart, they would just sit at home instead of going to the stadium, and paying $256 for parking, $639 for a hot dog, and $1274 for a beer.

this is the only way the bone headed management will take a hint, is if you hurt their pocket books.

tolbiny 12-15-2005 04:23 PM

most of those tickets are already purchased, so staying home would only hurt concessions - although i "concede" that it is a strong point in and of itself. A boycott doesn't have to be the first step, this is a good way to get the word out, get some national coverage and to see how much support this group (it is just one group of fans) has. The next step could be something bigger.

SomethingClever 12-15-2005 05:01 PM

What you're not taking into account is that this move will embarass the hell out of the owners and receive lots of press coverage.

Money is one thing, but when your fans pull a stunt like this, it can send a message.

PokerFink 12-15-2005 05:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Someone with JoePa as his avatar should know.

In any event, the recent rage where fans wear all one color was (I think) started by the Philadelphia Flyers in the 2004 playoffs. They had an "orange crush" where they gave out orange t-shirts to all the fans that entered the arena. IIRC, it was for Game Six of the Eastern Conference Finals. Nearly every fan there was in bright orange.

The trick spread like wildfire. Other teams started doing it, including Calgary in the Stanley Cup Finals. Penn State started doing it last year, with a "white out" against Purdue. All students were expected to wear white, creating a very large contrast between the student section and the alumni, who wear mostly dark colors. We did it again this year against tOSU, with something like 99% of students wearing white. Other Big Ten schools have copied us, including Illinois who did it against us this year. Did them a lot of good =)

Here are awesome pictures from the "white out" against tOSU. Look hard, I'm in the 3rd row somewhere =).

http://gallery.gopsusports.com/Image...t_gates_sm.jpg

http://gallery.gopsusports.com/Image.../aerial1sm.jpg

http://gallery.gopsusports.com/Image...8/WhiteOut.jpg

http://gallery.gopsusports.com/Image.../WhiteOut2.jpg

Edit: [/hijack] Sorry I get excited about PSU football.

jdl22 12-15-2005 06:04 PM

Pretty much every college basketball team has been doing this with the student section for 5 or 10 years. At Oregon they give out free t-shirts at the beginning and if you're wearing one you get in 10 minutes early so the only way to sit on the floor is to get a t-shirt and wear it, at least to get in. I'm guessing something like that is standard elsewhere. Not sure how it works at Pitt with the shirts, but I know basically everyone in the student section where's the gold "Oakland Zoo" shirts.

PokerFink 12-15-2005 06:10 PM

You're right, I forgot about college ball. I know Duke has those people behind the basket who wear the ugly white/blue striped shirts.

Some college football teams have it throughout the stadium, I'm thinking Nebraska. Or the Chiefs in NFL.

I change my statement to: Flyers started it in the NHL, PSU started it in the Big Ten. And since the Flyers did it in 2004, a lot of teams have started copying.

SomethingClever 12-15-2005 06:14 PM

Dude, Mac Court is such a sweet place to see a game.

Tyler Durden 12-15-2005 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In any event, the recent rage where fans wear all one color was (I think) started by the Philadelphia Flyers in the 2004 playoffs. They had an "orange crush" where they gave out orange t-shirts to all the fans that entered the arena. IIRC, it was for Game Six of the Eastern Conference Finals. Nearly every fan there was in bright orange.

[/ QUOTE ]
Where do you buy the crack that you're obviously smoking?

It was most definitely not started by the Philadelphia Flyers in 2004. I'm a big fan of the Washington Capitals and they encouraged fans to wear all white to playoff games as far back as the late 80's. And it probably predates that also.

Tyler Durden 12-15-2005 06:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I change my statement to: Flyers started it in the NHL

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

jdl22 12-15-2005 06:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dude, Mac Court is such a sweet place to see a game.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, no [censored]. I was a student there and definately miss basketball season now that I'm a grad student on the east coast. It's so amazing watching games there.

PokerFink 12-15-2005 06:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In any event, the recent rage where fans wear all one color was (I think) started by the Philadelphia Flyers in the 2004 playoffs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know that Flyers fans weren't the first to ever wear one color. That's not what I meant. Obviously this has been going on a while, as I said in my last response.

The Flyers started the recent trend that other teams have copied of designating ONE GAME as a "white out" or "orange crush" or whatever.

Perhaps I should have been more clear originally.

jedi 12-15-2005 07:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In any event, the recent rage where fans wear all one color was (I think) started by the Philadelphia Flyers in the 2004 playoffs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know that Flyers fans weren't the first to ever wear one color. That's not what I meant. Obviously this has been going on a while, as I said in my last response.

The Flyers started the recent trend that other teams have copied of designating ONE GAME as a "white out" or "orange crush" or whatever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ducks did it during their 2003 playoff run, and even then it was a ripoff of someone else (Phoenix I think).

PhatTBoll 12-15-2005 10:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ducks did it during their 2003 playoff run, and even then it was a ripoff of someone else (Phoenix I think).

[/ QUOTE ]
The Winnipeg Jets would do it in playoff games in the 80's. When they moved to Phoenix, they took that mini-tradition with them.

Spook 12-16-2005 03:49 AM

OK, so what teams fans started wearing the color of the OPPOSING team?

Sure, your team might wear white - but is that in protest or support?

Chairman Wood 12-16-2005 04:25 AM

I could be wrong but I truly think you guys are all wrong. I believe the first team that really started doing this was the old Winnipeg Jets, now the Phoenix Coyotes. During their playoff games they would have "white outs" and the whole arena would be in white. I don't know the history but I am pretty sure they were doing it for a while before the franchise moved to Phoenix and that was circa '95.

Chairman Wood 12-16-2005 04:30 AM

I am all about T-shirts that say Fire Millen that are bright and very noticable but I'm pretty disappointed in the fact that they picked Bright Orange. I'm a Lions fan, I believe the best thing they could do is fire Millen but no way am I wearing a T-shirt of the opposing teams color. Put that on a neon green or yellow or some other color and I am in line to buy one.

Jack of Arcades 12-16-2005 04:51 AM

bright green is cute. bright orange is hostile.

WLVRYN 12-16-2005 12:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am all about T-shirts that say Fire Millen that are bright and very noticable but I'm pretty disappointed in the fact that they picked Bright Orange. I'm a Lions fan, I believe the best thing they could do is fire Millen but no way am I wearing a T-shirt of the opposing teams color. Put that on a neon green or yellow or some other color and I am in line to buy one.

[/ QUOTE ]

As proved two weeks ago, having a sign that says "fire millen" is grounds for being removed from Ford Field, so I'm sure that a t-shirt would be handled similarly, and thus the orange-out. Now if 10,000 fans wore "fire millen" t-shirts, I'm sure that they dont remove everyone, but I have a feeling the orange-out will be just as embarrasing to the Ford family and the Lions if there's enough participation.

TripleH68 12-16-2005 06:45 PM

I am not sure if this is where it started, but seasoned hockey fans will remember the Winnipeg Jets' "white outs."

Spook 12-16-2005 08:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am all about T-shirts that say Fire Millen that are bright and very noticable but I'm pretty disappointed in the fact that they picked Bright Orange.

[/ QUOTE ]

Security will shut down anyone with a Fire Millen sign or shirt. And 'words' don't work to well on tv. All Detroit fans should be feed up with what is going on there.
The NFL has finally returned the Superbowl, and this was supposed to be a contender team. with FOUR wins.

Great, the Jets fans all wore white to show unity with the team. But can anyone point to where fans are wearing the color of the visiting team? Then stop saying it was done before.

masse75 12-17-2005 03:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You're right, I forgot about college ball. I know Duke has those people behind the basket who wear the ugly white/blue striped shirts.

[/ QUOTE ]

As a Duke alum, I'm proud to say I'm embarrassed by those people. I'm not a big fan of 'sponsored' or endorsed shirts, etc (Oh, boy! We'll let the university set this up for us!). The best (meaning loudest and rowdiest) student sections are those that come up with their own schtick.

I used to openly mock my brother and some of my friends who went to WFU when they instituted their Freakin' Deacon or Screaming Deacon or Dorking Deacon section. All students must attend a certain number of games, and must wear this specifically authorized t-shirt. G-hey.

FYI--Buffalo is trying the orange-out this weekend as well.

damaniac 12-17-2005 07:24 PM

Interesting. But are the fans still cheering for the Lions? To the extent that they have been, anyway.

jstnrgrs 12-17-2005 10:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Interesting. But are the fans still cheering for the Lions? To the extent that they have been, anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would think so, but on the CBS pre-game show today, it was reported that the plan is to "wear Bengal orange, and cheer for the opposing team". I hope this is wrong.

disjunction 12-17-2005 11:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
no way am I wearing a T-shirt of the opposing teams color.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. You can not wear the colors of the opposing team to a home football game.

CORed 12-17-2005 11:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The "Orange Crush" was the 1977 Denver Broncos defense. This was the first Brocos team to go to the Super Bowl (first to the playoffs for that matter. The Broncos seriously sucked for most of there first 16 years). Unfortunately, they weren't good enough to beat the Cowboys in the Super Bowl. The Flyers or anyone else using that name are cheap knockoffs.

Jack of Arcades 12-17-2005 11:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
While not all reports of the “Orange-Out” have been supportive, the overwhelming response has been positive. Most understand that The Lions Fanatics encourage the fans to continue to support the team, while letting management know their disgust by wearing the orange shirts. Also, everyone should remember that the protest is designed to be "passive and non-disruptive" in order to concentrate the message on management, where it belongs, rather than on confrontational or unruly fans.

Some fans have questioned the use of orange as the shirt color and feel torn about wearing an opponent’s color. To these fans we explain, we aren’t asking you to wear a Bengals’ shirts, you can wear an orange Tigers’ shirt or support the players on the team from University of Texas with an orange Longhorns’ shirt.
Once again, this protest is not against the players, but the team’s management.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bulldog 12-19-2005 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Someone with JoePa as his avatar should know.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know what the White Out was. But the Orange Out isn't ripping off anything, especially not the Orange Crush that you think was invented by 2004 Flyers' fans. It is to send a message to the team management, not in support of the home team. It is not to "steal a cool name" from someone who stole it before.

Before you go around proclaiming these idiotic things, you should learn that history started before the 21st century. Sheesh. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

pokerdirty 12-19-2005 04:11 PM

so what happened with this? did 'fans' actually do this or not?

phillydilly 12-19-2005 04:31 PM

i was at the game and there was a lot of orange
probably 40% orange, 60% blue in ford field
at the bars around the stadium it seemed 99% orange

the stadium become more orange as the day went on, as lions fans in blue left the game because the lions suck.

I was surprised at the number of cincy fans who made the trip, there were a ton.