Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Eli Manning (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=400740)

12-18-2005 12:27 PM

Eli Manning

I'm curious to see what people's overall opinions are of Eli Manning and what sort of career he might end up having in the NFL. He's getting killed left and right these days for being inaccurate, and those criticisms are certainly reasonable if you have watched him play recently. Is this inaccuracy a defficiency that he can overcome, or his he going to be a mediocre QB for his entire career? What about his uncanny ability to play his best when the game is on the line and run a successful 2 minute drill over and over?

If you had to liken his career to another past QB, whose would you liken it to and why?

Someone I know (not a good friend but an acquaintance) made a comment that the Giants would be in the same shape this year with Gus Frerotte instead of Eli and that they're winning in spite of him, not because of him. Is this fair?

wh1t3bread 12-18-2005 12:37 PM

Re: Eli Manning

Eli's stats aren't as good as his brother's stats from his 2nd year, but they aren't that far off either.

I personally don't think he will be as good as his brother, but he'll definitely be more than a mediocre QB,

Matt Williams 12-18-2005 12:47 PM

I think people are expecting more than they should. This is his 2nd year in the league and 1st full year starting. He is extremely accurate down the field when he has time to throw. Some of the blame should go to the WR's because I have seen dropped passes that were right on the money. But he does have the ability to bring his team down the field after the 2 min. warning. He did twice against Dallas (Jacobs fumbled), against Denver, Minnesota, and Seattle. Those are pretty good defenses. He also does it at the end of the first half. I think a lot has to do with him being in a shotgun; and defenses are in a dime defense which gives him time to throw with less physical pressure.
Let me put this way, I haven't been this excited about a Giants QB since Phil Simms.

IggyWH 12-18-2005 12:56 PM

I don't really care for either Manning, but I can give Peyton the respect he deserves. A couple months ago, there was a thread Eli vs Ben, and most people were sucking off Eli. I got heat for saying I didn't see anything from Eli, but had only seen him play a small amount. I was told to watch games and I'd see just how special he is.

Well, I have watched a couple games, and I stand by when I said he's nothing special. Does he have potential? Sure, anyone has potential, but right now he is nothing special.

As I say this I'm praying for a good game from him so they'll knock KC off and help my Steelers out.

utmt40 12-18-2005 12:57 PM

Eli will not be in any way a mediocre QB.

wh1t3bread 12-18-2005 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As I say this I'm praying for a good game from him so they'll knock KC off and help my Steelers out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm...the Giants played KC last night and beat them.

andyfox 12-18-2005 01:14 PM

As of yet, he's not a championship caliber quarterback. He does throw inaccurately, and he throws badly: his balls don't have a tight spiral, they flutter. Burris, Shockey, Toomer and Barber give him the most talented weapons in the league and some days the Giants look awesome, but never at the quarterback position.

I would says he's a C+ right now. He's had very few A or even B+ days. One would think he's going to get better.

IggyWH 12-18-2005 02:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm...the Giants played KC last night and beat them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Too much alcohol flowing thru me to notice that... SWEET!

12-18-2005 04:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't really care for either Manning, but I can give Peyton the respect he deserves. A couple months ago, there was a thread Eli vs Ben, and most people were sucking off Eli. I got heat for saying I didn't see anything from Eli, but had only seen him play a small amount. I was told to watch games and I'd see just how special he is.

Well, I have watched a couple games, and I stand by when I said he's nothing special. Does he have potential? Sure, anyone has potential, but right now he is nothing special.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess you're unaware that they have already played and beaten KC yesterday, before I wrote this post. The Giants won the game.

Tyler Durden 12-18-2005 05:09 PM

I hate Eli Manning. He had a poor game yesterday and I started him over Matt Hasselbeck who tore it up today.

I'm a Redskins fan and every week I wish that the Skins had found a way to pick him. He's going to be awesome.

Victor 12-18-2005 09:23 PM

eli will be good. one of the best in the nfl when he hits his prime. however, rothlisberger and palmer (among others) will be distinctly better.

Wes ManTooth 12-19-2005 10:24 AM

Tied for last in the division last year, and now the Giants are 10-4 first in the NFC east, Eli is a big reason for this turn around. Granted it is not just him and at times he is has been inconsistent. Still at times he is money and he is the biggest reason for the Giants turn around.

Jack of Arcades 12-19-2005 10:31 AM

Yeah, Eli's helped that defense so much. He's a beast at linebacker..

Wes ManTooth 12-19-2005 10:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, Eli's helped that defense so much. He's a beast at linebacker..

[/ QUOTE ]

The linebackers are the same from last year with exception of adding Antonio Peirce. But you are right Eli has nothing to do with the reason why the Giants are 10-4.

Jack of Arcades 12-19-2005 10:51 AM

Their defense has improved much more than their offense has.

Eli's improved, yeah, but he basically went from last year's Eli to last year's Kurt Warner.

wh1t3bread 12-19-2005 10:55 AM

The Giants are 10-4 because of Tiki Barber and their run blocking. Eli has been decent and he has something to do with it. But he isn't the reason they are 10-4.

Jack of Arcades 12-19-2005 10:58 AM

Disagreeing with you a little here, Tiki's performance isn't much better than it was last year's. Their defense has been a big improvement, and their pass offense has gotten better, as well.

wh1t3bread 12-19-2005 11:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Disagreeing with you a little here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha. What a surprise! j/k.

I think the one major thing that Tiki has done better this year is not fumble the ball. This has been something that used to plague him in the past and he has showed great improvements the last 2 years.

brettbrettr 12-19-2005 11:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The linebackers are the same from last year with exception of adding Antonio Peirce.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is like saying, "Aside from winning that big tournament, this month has been mostly so-so."

brettbrettr 12-19-2005 11:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the one major thing that Tiki has done better this year is not fumble the ball.

[/ QUOTE ]

He really didn't fumble the ball much last year either. Two years ago was really bad.

wh1t3bread 12-19-2005 11:27 AM

I know, you must have missed the rest of my post where I said, "the last two years".

Wes ManTooth 12-19-2005 11:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Their defense has improved much more than their offense has.

[/ QUOTE ]

their offense has improved just as much if not more then there defense. Giants offense is 8th in yards per game and 5th in point per game, they were not even remotely close to this last year.

[ QUOTE ]

Eli's improved, yeah, but he basically went from last year's Eli to last year's Kurt Warner.

[/ QUOTE ]

Last years Warner started 9 games threw only 6 TDs, 4 INTs was sacked 39 times and fumbled 12 times. This years Eli in 14 starts has thrown 22 TD's 16 INTs has been sacked 25 times and has fumbled 8 times.

Eli is not even close to "last years" Warner.

Jack of Arcades 12-19-2005 12:25 PM

...and he completed 63% of his passes with a 7.4 YPA. Maybe if he had Plaxico Burress pushing off every down he'd have done a little better in the TD/INT department.

Aces McGee 12-19-2005 01:55 PM

As a Giants fan, what excites me about Eli is his performance in big moments. The TD pass at the end of the Denver game. The two drives at the end of the game in Dallas. Repeatedly putting them in a position to win in Seattle.

I don't have any stats to back it up (and anyone who has them who wishes to corroborate or debunk this is most certainly welcome to) but it just seems like he plays a little better when the team REALLY needs him to, even in games where he's been otherwise unimpressive.

-McGee

DMBFan23 12-19-2005 01:58 PM

How about "I'm a douchebag because I think I'm too good to get drafted by the team with the number 1 pick so I complain and whine and get then to trade the pick to NY."

I love Peyton, but man is Eli a douchebag. I lump him with Brady and Belichick in the "I hope they get raped by angry homosexual well endowed gorillas with AIDS" camp

12-19-2005 05:48 PM

Been a Giants fan since I was eight, through the best of times (Parcells, LT, Simms, and Fassel) and the worst of times (Ray Handley, Dan Reeves and Danny Kanell.)

Things I like about Eli: two-minute drill handling, spreading the ball around more than last year, pocket awareness, and arm strength.

Things I don't like but think he will mature out of: throwing into double coverage, accuracy, and consistency.

Who would I compare him to? Most obvious comparison is to his brother - a pocket passer who likes to change plays at the line, spreads the ball around, and prefers to throw rather than scramble. Sure, Peyton's more mature and better all around, but he's been with that offense for several seasons. Eli may not reach that status, but I think he should be one of the top five QB's in the game in a few years.

I'm really excited about the Giants prospects this year. I couldn't believe those clowns at CBS all picked the Chiefs to win on Saturday. The Chiefs lost to the Cowboys the week before, and the Giants came off a tough road win at Philly that restored their faith in Feely Goals.

ScottieK

brettbrettr 12-19-2005 10:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...and he completed 63% of his passes with a 7.4 YPA. Maybe if he had Plaxico Burress pushing off every down he'd have done a little better in the TD/INT department.

[/ QUOTE ]

I read some stat that said that Warner had nine or ten passes completed inside of the opponents 5 yard line last year. That's a bunch of TDs he didn't get. He got a bad rap, played pretty well. That said, you can't argue with an organization who wants to get their QB of the future on the field.

As for Plaxico pushing off, he isn't the first WR to do it, and if they don't call it and it works, its a good play.

brettbrettr 12-19-2005 10:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I couldn't believe those clowns at CBS all picked the Chiefs to win on Saturday. The Chiefs lost to the Cowboys the week before, and the Giants came off a tough road win at Philly that restored their faith in Feely Goals.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Giants also lost a bunch of lineman, their best linebacker, and were playing one of the best rushing attacks in the league. If you "canb't believe" that people picked the Chiefs, then I'm not sure if you've ever picked against the Giants.

Jack of Arcades 12-19-2005 10:14 PM

Naw, I can't blame him but I'm just arguing that Eli isn't really better than Kurt was last year. They were what, 5-5 with Kurt last year?

ThaSaltCracka 12-19-2005 10:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Giants are 10-4 because of Tiki Barber and their run blocking. Eli has been decent and he has something to do with it. But he isn't the reason they are 10-4.

[/ QUOTE ]the Giants are 10-4 for two reasons.
1. Tiki gained some weight
2. Strahan lost some weight

both of them are having awesome years and have totally changed their respective sides of the ball this year.

brettbrettr 12-19-2005 10:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Naw, I can't blame him but I'm just arguing that Eli isn't really better than Kurt was last year.

[/ QUOTE ]

5-4 I think. And we've had this discussion.

brettbrettr 12-19-2005 10:22 PM

Tiki and Strahan are certainly two of thie biggest reasons the Giants have had such a good year. But they're not the only reasons.

ThaSaltCracka 12-19-2005 10:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Tiki and Strahan are certainly two of thie biggest reasons the Giants have had such a good year. But they're not the only reasons.

[/ QUOTE ]nawp, only reasons.

edit: and I mean this in an overly simplistic way, but without a doubt all the success of their offense can be attributed to them having a solid running game, and all their success on defense can be attributed to their excellent pass rush, which is caused mostly by Strahan.

BadBoyBenny 12-19-2005 10:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He is extremely accurate down the field when he has time to throw.

[/ QUOTE ]

From what I've seen the last couple of weeks this statement is flat wrong. He is streaky, but is way off on a lot of throws where he has plenty of time.

Clarkmeister 12-20-2005 01:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You apparently slept through Tiki's 2004 season?

ThaSaltCracka 12-20-2005 02:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You apparently slept through Tiki's 2004 season?

[/ QUOTE ]no, he had an excellent year last year, but this year he tried to gain some muscle mass in the offseason. It has paid off, he is a harder runner, and will break his rushing total from last year by atleast 2 bills. Not the same Tiki as last year.

Jack of Arcades 12-20-2005 02:58 AM

...so 200 yards is the biggest reason they're going to be 5-6 games better than they were last year? Surely you're joking.

ThaSaltCracka 12-20-2005 03:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
...so 200 yards is the biggest reason they're going to be 5-6 games better than they were last year? Surely you're joking.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't call me Surely.

I also said Strahan's play on D was also a major factor.

Anyways, a great running game ( a 1600 yard back at that) helps a teams overall offense immensely. Probably more than any other aspect of a teams offense.

Jack of Arcades 12-20-2005 03:32 AM

Tiki was amazing last year. He's ever-so-slightly more amazing this year. He's a small reason for their improvement.

brettbrettr 12-20-2005 04:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I also said Strahan's play on D was also a major factor.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're ignoring their *other* pro-bowl DE?