Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   One-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   JJ early on (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=71963)

schwza 03-06-2004 03:43 PM

JJ early on

UB $10+1 10 player. blinds are 5/10, i have 990, MP has 825.

I'm dealt J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. utg limps, MP raises to 45, hero raises to 150, utg folds, MP pushes.

What's my play here?

I called, figuring that I've seen bad players push early with hands like 99, AT, and that odds were I was against AK. (As it turned out, he had AQ). Comments welcome on all parts of the hand.

David BB 03-06-2004 04:10 PM

Re: JJ early on

This is either a coin toss (vs. AK/AQ) or you're a big underdog (vs. AA, KK, QQ). I think situations like these should be avoided early on so I like a fold.

How many chips do you start with on UB?

NotMitch 03-06-2004 04:26 PM

I think I'm on the fence about the preflop raise. First in or after only limpers I will raise JJ most of the time but I'm not sure if it is a hand I would reraise.

On the other hand you don't want the rest of the table tagging along which for T45 they very well might. So I do see some advantages to the raise.

Once you get reraised all in you have to supsect a pair 99 or higher or Ace/face a majority of time. So that means there are 2 hands he can hold you love (TT,99), 3 you hate (AA,KK,QQ), 2 you are a coin flip vs (AK, AQ), and 2 you are a bigish favorite over (AJ, AT).

So off the top of my head calling is probably +EV but I think there are better spots to get your money in.

schwza 03-06-2004 06:16 PM

you start with 1000 chips. against stronger competition i'd agree that you're up against AK, AA, KK, or QQ, but i'm not sure that's the case in an $11 on ub.

Tosh 03-06-2004 06:36 PM

I'd call his bet of 45 and see the flop.

However, once in this position I muck.

bob2007 03-06-2004 07:04 PM

Just call the 45, don't reraise.

Fold to all in. JJ's not that strong. Early game lead in chips means little.

I play at party tho.

ALLEN CONRAD 03-07-2004 08:55 AM

With blinds so low you have plenty of time to wait until you can put them all in where you will have much more the best of it that you do there.

Assuming that your jacks are good because they are better than other hands you have seen people go all in with is a bad way to judge the strength of your hand.

SammyB 03-08-2004 07:10 PM

I think your assumptions that somehow the buy-in is related to the caliber of play are off the mark and dangerous.

cferejohn 03-08-2004 09:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think your assumptions that somehow the buy-in is related to the caliber of play are off the mark and dangerous.

[/ QUOTE ]

What? I disagree with this entirely. Sure still make specific reads on players when possible, but given the lack of information, assuming that your typical $10 SnG player is looser than your typicaly $100 SnG player is certainly correct.

That said, I agree with those who said not to re-raise with this hand. It is a classic example of a re-raise that makes your throw up (as Mr. Sklansky so elegantly put it). Later in a tournament against players who are getting very aggressive, sure, but here I think you are only asking for trouble.

Once the re-raise goes in, I'd fold to the all-in given the small favorite/big dog nature of the hand. *Maybe* if I had a specific read on the player as someone who grossly overplayed small/medium pairs (and these players definitely exist), I would talk myself into a call.

Sorry if this is starting to sound like a broken record (I think I've said this in about 60% of my posts lately), but playing JJ like TT or 99 definitely seems to yeild better results for me than playing like QQ (as I feel you did here - I would have called with QQ).

ThaSaltCracka 03-08-2004 11:29 PM

call the 45,
if you raise this hand, you are only going to get called by hands that dominate you. call the 45 see the flop and progress from there. His initial raise and then subsequent reraise shows some strength, do you feel like risking you tourney on pocket jacks, which BTW I hate.