Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   NL $100, How to get away from top pair vs. sets? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=401221)

12-19-2005 06:17 AM

NL $100, How to get away from top pair vs. sets?

Twice tonight I've doubled people up when they've hit sets against my top pair. Is there a different line I should be taking that might make it easier to not get reamed every time this happens?

In this hand, villain was loose and I thought there was a good chance he had a worse ace. I tried to represent QQ or something along those lines. I read his river bet as being weak.

PokerRoom No-Limit Hold'em, $1 BB (10 handed) converter

SB ($188.40)
Hero ($133.50)
UTG ($14.80)
UTG+1 ($87)
UTG+2 ($112)
MP1 ($55.10)
MP2 ($101.60)
MP3 ($21.10)
CO ($76.30)
Button ($86.40)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP1 calls $1, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls $1, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $5</font>, MP1 calls $4, MP3 calls $4.

Flop: ($15.50) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $8</font>, MP1 calls $8, MP3 folds.

Turn: ($31.50) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets $12</font>, Hero calls $12.

River: ($55.50) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets $8</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $30</font>, MP1 calls $22.

Final Pot: $115.50

Results:
Hero has Qs Ac (one pair, aces).
MP1 has 5c 5d (three of a kind, fives).
Outcome: MP1 wins $115.50.

In this hand (which caused every converter I put it into to time out, for some reason) the PF raiser was a LAG. Villain was sLP-P.

PokerRoom No-Limit Hold'em, $1 BB (10 handed)

SB ($89.50 in chips)
BB ($22.40 in chips)
UTG ($99 in chips)
UTG+1 ($100 in chips)
UTG+2 ($73 in chips)
MP1 ($47.10 in chips)
MP2 ($186.75 in chips)
MP3 ($71.40 in chips)
Hero ($105.70 in chips)
Button ($142 in chips)

PRE-FLOP
Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
2 folds, UTG+2 calls $1, MP1 calls $1, MP2 bets $2, 1 fold, Hero calls $2, 1 fold , SB calls $1.50, BB calls $1, UTG+2 calls $1, MP1 calls $1.

FLOP (Pot: $12) [board cards 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img],J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img],2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ]
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+2 checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks, Hero bets $6, 3 folds, MP1 calls $6, 1 fold.

TURN (Pot: $24) [board cards 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img],J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img],2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img],7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ]
MP1 checks, Hero bets $13, MP1 bets $39.10 and is all-in, Hero calls $26.10.

RIVER [board cards 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img],J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img],2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img],7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img],8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ]

SHOWDOWN
MP1 shows [ 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img],6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ]
Hero shows [ A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img],J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ]
MP1 wins $100.20.

wyrd 12-19-2005 06:49 AM

Re: NL $100, How to get away from top pair vs. sets?

I think it's basically this; Generally speaking how often are you called by a second pair or lower kicker? How often does a second pair or lower kicker go all-in?

I guess what I'm saying is, don't be so willing to go all-in with just a pair.

Hand 1: I'd continue betting on the turn, he could be on a flush draw. If he calls again check/fold the river to any decently sized bet (especially since the possible flush draw showed up). Obviously if he raises on the turn you're folding.

Hand 2: It's possible he has QJ or JT that he's calling with. You bet the turn again, but he check-raises. That's not good. He could even have a 9T for a straight. I think this hand is very easy to get away from once he pushes.

theweatherman 12-19-2005 06:55 AM

Hand one:

Be careful raising AQo from the BB. Not a powerhouse hand to be played oop in a full ring. Anyways, why did you raise the river? What possible hand could he have that you are beating that will call this raise? I can think of one, AJ (MAYBE). The river raise is utter garbage, the villian is letting you off big time by raiseing like a four year old girl. Dont help him out with ridiculous reraises.

Hand two:

This one is better, but I'd check behind on the turn for pot control. The check raise is scary and is pretty mucha standard line for a set imo (bet flop, c/r allin turn). I dont need to tell you that it works really well for stacking tp/tk.

Checking behind on the turn does not oblige the c/r and since there are no realy draws and only two overcrads that scare you it seems to be a good idea. You can hten decideto call his (smaller) beton the river or make a read if hes got a set. FWIW I'd end up calling a river bet here, but I doubt he'd push the river and so you get away with a much cheaper showdown.

12-19-2005 07:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 2: It's possible he has QJ or JT that he's calling with. You bet the turn again, but he check-raises. That's not good. He could even have a 9T for a straight. I think this hand is very easy to get away from once he pushes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Straight possibility didn't arrive till the river...does that pretty much exclusively make his holdings a set, or 76 for two pair?

The fact that both of these players were shortstack factored into it. And, the horrible quality of play I've encountered recently at PR has desensitized my poker-playing (versus card-playing...if that makes sense) abilities...last night I had too many hands like the following, which I think is making me feel like I'm playing NL $25 again rather than $100. Hopefully these two hands were enough of a wake-up call.

Texas Hold'em $1-$1 PL (real money)

Seat 1: MP1 ($259.40 in chips)
Seat 2: MP2 ($37.40 in chips)
Seat 3: MP3 ($105 in chips)
Seat 5: Hero ($163.50 in chips)
Seat 6: Button ($127.90 in chips)
Seat 7: SB ($101 in chips)
Seat 9: BB ($203.15 in chips)
Seat 10: UTG ($168.15 in chips)
ANTES/BLINDS
SB posts blind ($1), BB posts blind ($1).

PRE-FLOP
Hero is CO with [ Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img],J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ]
UTG folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls $1, Hero calls $1, Button folds, SB checks, BB checks.

FLOP [board cards 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img],K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img],A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ]
SB checks, BB checks, MP3 checks, Hero checks.

TURN [board cards 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img],K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img],A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img],6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ]
SB checks, BB checks, MP3 checks, Hero checks.

RIVER [board cards 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img],K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img],A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img],6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img],10[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ]
SB checks, BB bets $1.50, MP3 bets $7, Hero bets $25, SB folds, BB folds, MP3 calls $18.

SHOWDOWN
Hero shows [ Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img],J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ]
MP3 mucks cards [ 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img],A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ] are you serious????
Hero wins $53.50.

So yeah, I think donkeys like that are causing me to not give other players enough credit.