Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   what would u do? (long/boring/lc) (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=367593)

stu-unger 10-28-2005 11:15 PM

what would u do? (long/boring/lc)

alright so i am at a wierd spot in my poker career. for the last 3-4 months ive been playing 3-4 tables of 50 6 max and doing fine. i have always been really slow to move up. i am in the middle of trying to move to the 100 game and haven't done too stellar up to this point. in the last 2 days im down 5 buy ins there. yesterday i decided to go back to the 50 game and could just tell i wasn't even playing my c game so i stopped. i am still well over rolled to play the 100 game, but i have really lost my confidence.

the first 2 days at the 100s i played -1 buy in, meh no big deal. then yesterday i dropped 4 buy ins. i have been running pretty bad, but as always im sure thats not all there is to it. i could post some hands, but it would just either be an obvious mistake or a bad beat post.

i am taking today and probably 2marrow off. doing a lot of the things i dont do while playing poker, like paying attention to my girlfriend and whatever else normal people do. what i am really wondering is what i should do next. my confidence has taken a real shot. i have a few ideas of how to get back on the horse... please help

ps- if this is completely useless, feel free to delete/lock it xorbie.

RED FACE 10-28-2005 11:22 PM

Re: what would u do? (long/boring/lc)

play 50's and actually just play 1 table and grind out a buy in if it takes all day. If you start thinking about making up your losses in a hurry you will not play right. Grind it out.

5 buyins is a lot imo. I was thinking today that it's best not to move up a limit until you have taken 5 significant downswings at the current limit. This will give you an understanding of what a downswing can be like and give you practice at getting back on your A-game if the downswing knocked you off.

10-28-2005 11:40 PM

Taking a few days off, seems to be good.
Just do some other d then get back to the game, when you're head is free of the bad experiences of the last time.
Then get back to the 50$ game, maybe just 2 tabling.
Everybody gets a hard time once in a while.

stu-unger 10-28-2005 11:51 PM

i should stress that im not really worried about the loss at all. 5 buy ins is really not a big deal. the fact that i have started losing my confidence is a big deal. a lot or people have said in the past that adding tables has improved their play. a lot of posters here have had similiar experiences as mine, and seem to be back to killin it again. i am just wondering what actions they took. thanx for the replies.

jjb108 10-29-2005 01:02 AM

I moved up to the 100NL right before Party switched 100 BB and took it on the chin for about 7 buy ins. I dropped back down to the 25 and 50NL again. I made up the 7 buyins and took various shots at the 100 tables esp. on sat nights! Am now comfortable at 100 and am playing 200's on Fri/Sat.

I highly suggest 50NL during the week and move up on the weekends until you get your confidence back. Nothing like a soft weekend game help your ego.

TheWorstPlayer 10-29-2005 01:13 AM

play 50s. that worked well for me. even tho u r ovrrolled, losing that much $ in A DAY FEELS DIFF. go back ti comfort spot and regain conf. ALSO MB HH review or a tutor session or 2? pm me 4 more fetails if u want.

vulturesrow 10-29-2005 02:19 AM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En respuesta a:</font><hr />
play 50s. that worked well for me. even tho u r ovrrolled, losing that much $ in A DAY FEELS DIFF. go back ti comfort spot and regain conf. ALSO MB HH review or a tutor session or 2? pm me 4 more fetails if u want.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you drunk TWP? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

10-29-2005 02:31 AM

I use a couple anti-"tilt" strategies when I run into it.

-Dropping a level is always a good idea. Adding tables, well it depends from person to person. Personally, the smaller amounts of money being played with makes me feel more comfortable, so I can clearly and rationally sort out my maneuvers.

-Tightening up is also a good idea. Simply playing tight, solid, straightforward poker, (hopefully) allowing simple odds and correct plays rebuild confidence along with grinding up a bit of a bankroll. Nothing fancy.

-All else fails, take a break. Re-read some poker books. Read up on some new posts on 2+2. Either way, it's gonna help you.

Mercman572 10-29-2005 02:38 AM

damn this is alot like what's happening to me now and I just posted my own bad beat on it.

IbrakeFORrivers 10-29-2005 02:57 AM

Play 100's 1-table,
OR
if you're gonna 5-table it, do so at the 50's.