Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   AA vs TAG on scary board (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=287875)

Ryan11 07-07-2005 02:15 AM

AA vs TAG on scary board

Villian is TAG 17.02/12.22

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2(Villian)/ raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2(Villian)/ caps</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (9 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Villian calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Villian bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (7.50 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Villian bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 9.50 BB

I figure the only hand I am ahead of that he would cap preflop is AK, I am behind most hands he would hold here, so I went into check and call mode. Was this correct or too passive?

TiltsMcFabulous 07-07-2005 02:24 AM

Re: AA vs TAG on scary board

I think it was absolutely the right play, given the flop action. He just calls you, indicating real strength to me. With AK he'd almost certainly raise you. 1010 is a possible holding, but unlikely cap material. I think you're in against JJ or KK, and the turn is even worse for you. TAGs cap on big pairs and raise on K high flops with AK so you might be far behind. A calldown bring the same bets as a bet/calldown from him would bring, which is the best you could hope for anyways. You win about the same when ahead (you certainly don't want to be in a raising war) and lose the least when behind.

~ Tilts

Ryan11 07-07-2005 10:20 AM

If the river was an A what would you do there? You'd be ahead of almost all preflop capping hands except TT and that is an unlikely holding. Raise and then just call if 3-bet?

gvibes 07-07-2005 11:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If the river was an A what would you do there? You'd be ahead of almost all preflop capping hands except TT and that is an unlikely holding. Raise and then just call if 3-bet?

[/ QUOTE ]
I personally would be really tempted to cap.

mdob 07-07-2005 01:08 PM

Easy call on the river.
Villain's possible hands: AA (1 combination), KK (3), QQ (3), JJ (3), TT (6), AK (3), AQ clubs (1), AQ spades (1)

OK, TT isn't too likely-- say 1 combo; AK-- say 1 combo also; AQ spades-- reduce to 1/2 combo; AA-- reduce to 1/2 combo. I think that's about as pessimistic a view as is reasonable (no discounting AQc, for example). This range gives you 21% equity, or ~ a 1 in 5 chance to win. You only need 1 in 9.5, so it's an easy call. If there's only one combo of AK, TT, AQ [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], and half a combo of AA, you'll win 1 in 9.2-- enough to call.

Easy cap if the A falls. He could be reasonably three-betting with KK, QQ, JJ, AK, AQ, KQ, and TT (granting that AQ, KQ, and TT are less likely) thinking you hit two-pair. You do GREAT against that range. There aren't many tens either of you could have.