Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Rank these albums (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=276495)

jgorham 06-20-2005 03:32 AM

Re: Rank these albums

I haven't heard the new Beck, Coldplay or Foo Fighters cds yet. Of the rest, if I had to buy 3 it would be Arcade Fire, Bloc Party and Stephen Malkmus. If I had to buy 5 I would add the White Stripes and Audioslave. If you can find the Go! Team I would get that over either of the last 2 albums, but it is an import only and thus hard to find.

coltrane 06-20-2005 03:36 AM

I can recommend Beck's "Mutations".....nice songwriting, solid production, fairly eclectic stylistically.....the album has a good sound......

Sooga 06-20-2005 03:37 AM

Diablo, I've only heard a few of these albums:

Coldplay: to me, a big disappointment. I loved Parachutes, I enjoyed A Rush Of Blood (though not as much as Parachutes), and I rank X&Y below both of these.

Foo Fighters: The acoustic disc is very good. The other disc is meh.

Gorillaz: As some have mentioned before, a few really groovy tracks, and a few throwaway ones.

What I would add that you should strongly consider is the 'Gimme Fiction' album by Spoon. I've been listening to that for pretty much the past week.

partygirluk 06-20-2005 03:38 AM

The Coldplay album is good, but a lot like A Rush of Blood to The Head.

Macdaddy Warsaw 06-20-2005 03:48 AM

I'm not sure I call Blueberry Boat pop.

But while we're suggesting albums, if you don't own it, I'd suggest getting The Meadowlands by The Wrens.

pryor15 06-20-2005 04:04 AM

arcade fire -- very good. def worth a listen
beck -- not his best, but still damn good and a great summer album
coldplay -- i don't know. as much as i really liked the first 2, this one seemed pretty boring to me. i've listened to it 3 times and nothing's grabbed me.

i heard one song from malkamus (sp?) and remembered liking it.

in related news, i'd recommend the new Sufjan Stevens and the new Springsteen. at least, that's what i've been unable to stop listening to lately.

cockandbull 06-20-2005 04:47 AM

If you like coldplay buy "doves" new ablum, some cities. The killers ablum, hot fuss is worth a listern, as is anything by the libertines. Nothing on your list stands out as being bad.

iequalzach 06-20-2005 05:56 AM

From that list, Arcade Fire and Bloc Party.

Fiery Furnaces annoy the hell out of me.

jgorham 06-20-2005 06:00 AM

I remember you mentioning a Malkmus concert. If you are already a fan, you will really like Face the Truth - it is a great album, my favorite of his solo albums so far. So that should be #1 on your list, with arcade fire at 2 and bloc party at 3.

TylerD 06-20-2005 06:14 AM

The Bloc Party album is simply amazing, you should definately get it.

Gorillaz - "meh". Its OK, couple of good songs, nothing special.

Foo Fighters - good stuff as usual from the Foos. Not as good as The Colour the Shape but a lot better than their previous album. The "rock" album (CD1) is good, the acoustic album is taking a while to grow on me.

Coldplay - I was dissapointed with their second album but this one is great, highly recommended.