Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   One-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   ($33) -ROI help continued: Too many 4ths? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=400663)

12-18-2005 05:20 AM

($33) -ROI help continued: Too many 4ths?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (4 handed) internettexasholdem.com

BB (t270)
Hero (t1275)
Button (t5195)
SB (t1260)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
Hero calls t100, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t325</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls t225.

Flop: (t800) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button checks.

Turn: (t800) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero pushes all-in [t950], Button calls t950.

I think I played the hand OK, question is, should I have been playing it at all? Button is very very LAG. I called with the intention of helping kill shortie, but didn't fold to the raise. This guy's PFR is 29% for this session. I tend to play aggressively with any kind of hand against this type of player.

I've been busting out in 4th alot, over my last 205 $33s:

1st: 28
2nd: 18
3rd: 10
4th: 26

For an ITM of 27% and a -ROI. I do think bad luck has been somewhat of a factor... QQ losing to QJ, pushing AJ into AA, etc. But I'm wondering if I should be trying to convert those 4ths into 3rds? Is there such a thing as focusing too much on 1st?

psyduck 12-18-2005 05:24 AM

Re: ($33) -ROI help continued: Too many 4ths?

just fold preflop. if the table has been unusually tight, just raise T275 PF (enough to put BB all in)

limping and calling vs the big stack makes me want to VOMIT

12-18-2005 05:27 AM

Thanks. Can you explain why? It sounds like it's very obvious to you, and since it's not to me, then I'm assuming this can be a nasty leak.

curtains 12-18-2005 05:31 AM

Holy [censored] calling the preflop raise is flat out TERRIBLE. you must fold there, there is a guy with 150 chips left. What are you doing!!!!!!

The only point of calling to begin with is to gang up on the short stack.

curtains 12-18-2005 05:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks. Can you explain why? It sounds like it's very obvious to you, and since it's not to me, then I'm assuming this can be a nasty leak.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its obvious because your goal is to come in THIRD PLACE!!! not first, but third. Unless the situation drastically changes that should remain your goal. Once you are in third place then you can readjust but for now you are shooting for 3rd place due to the chip distributions. Unless you have an absurdly +EV situation, you are content to just wait things out and finish in the top 3.

45suited 12-18-2005 05:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not trying to be mean spirited but if you can't see that you butchered this hand, I think you might want to consider dropping down from the 33s until you come to grasp basic SNG concepts.

curtains 12-18-2005 05:35 AM

Agreed with 45suited....this is such a ridiculously large hole that its absurd. You cannot get involved without a monster in a spot where there are 4 left, you are 2nd or 3rd in chips by a longshot, and the 4th place guy has very few chips.

12-18-2005 06:02 AM

Thanks guys, I appreciate both your advice and your candor.

I started studying poker in October, I've built my BR from $200 to $3900. I play a level until I have enough for 100 buy ins at the next level. As long as I'm above $3300 I want to play $33s. My primary goal is to learn and improve, not yet concerned with just grinding to make money.

As you can tell I'm inexperienced -- however I'm committed to learning. I didn't see anywhere in any FAQ that I should be folding anything but monsters when there is a big stack and a short stack on the bubble. Thanks for pointing it out, sounds like it'll really improve my game. I'm wondering what other obvious things I don't know....

A few more follow up questions. What consitutes a big stack and a short stack? Big stack is 2x+ my stack? Shortie is &lt;3BB? If I have 4xBB, should I be super passive if someones else is &lt;2xBB? What about if I had 5xBB?

Maybe this would be better discussed over AIM...

tigerite 12-18-2005 07:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Its obvious because your goal is to come in THIRD PLACE!!! not first, but third. Unless the situation drastically changes that should remain your goal. Once you are in third place then you can readjust but for now you are shooting for 3rd place due to the chip distributions. Unless you have an absurdly +EV situation, you are content to just wait things out and finish in the top 3.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually you might get 2nd yet - SB's stack is the same as yours [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] You won't be getting 2nd or 3rd by pissing about with KQo here though.. that's for definite. I wouldn't even call here with AKo. Well hmm I might but play it very very passively.

curtains 12-18-2005 07:09 AM

Yes but your first goal is to lock up 3rd and then worry about 2nd.