Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   A river situation that gives me problems... (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=382288)

lil feller 11-20-2005 09:23 PM

A river situation that gives me problems...

Villian is 24/14/1.7 but only over about 30 hands. So far nothing thats been showndown has been out of line, just getting some nice starters.

Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (6.66 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, MP2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 calls.

Turn: (5.33 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls.

River: (7.33 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP1 checks.

Final Pot: 7.33 BB

I'd like comments on all streets, especially the river. I was certain after villian just called the turn that he had AQ, AJ, JJ or QQ.

Whats the best river line against an opponent who seems to be a standard ABC TAG? Bet/fold, hoping he'll call w/ A-high and might muck a pair? Check/fold assuming he'll never bet a missed A-Big, Check call to let a whiff bet? I really don't know. Any comments on all streets greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

lf

Noo Yawk 11-20-2005 09:45 PM

Re: A river situation that gives me problems...

I don't think he's letting go of any hand on the river that he calls the turn with. The only way you get anymore from a worse hand is checking to get him to bluff.

baronzeus 11-20-2005 09:51 PM

i think he calls you with AQ and AJ almost every time. i also think if he called the turn he's going to showdown. the only hands i can see him having that beat you are JJ and QQ.

I bet/fold this

lil feller 11-20-2005 10:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think he's letting go of any hand on the river that he calls the turn with. The only way you get anymore from a worse hand is checking to get him to bluff.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't think he calls w/ AJ or AQ? I guess its player dependant, since we don't know much about each other its tough to tell.

lf

roy_miami 11-21-2005 12:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A river situation that gives me problems...

[/ QUOTE ]

You should read eric's posts on mixed strategy. This river decision looks like a prime candidate for mixing up what you do.

I would say:
bet/fold-75-85%
check/call-5-15%
bet/call-5-10%
checkraise-0-5%

lil feller 11-21-2005 12:51 AM

some more on Eric\'s post...

Eric's post was great, and is certainly something i'm trying to improve on in my game. Thats part of the reason I posted the hand. I don't think there is a "perfect" solution, i'm not sure of the correct balance however.

lf

EDIT: Lets assume in the future I recognize this as being a good spot to "mix it up". Any educated guesses on what the right mix would be, and what sort of approach to take to get there?

lf

ihardlyknowher 11-21-2005 01:43 AM

I like bet/fold.

wheelz 11-21-2005 01:57 AM

he's more likely to call with AJ/AQ than to bet it and you'll lose the same to JJ/QQ. bet/fold is definitely better than check/call.

ggbman 11-21-2005 02:02 AM

I think you need to bet this river. When you check, he should just about always value bet hands better than yours, but the action so far indictates that he will not raise this river. So basically, you will just get additional value all the times he has a worse hand.

lil feller 11-21-2005 02:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you need to bet this river. When you check, he should just about always value bet hands better than yours, but the action so far indictates that he will not raise this river. So basically, you will just get additional value all the times he has a worse hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I agree with you and the other posters. Bet/fold is probably the way to go the majority of the time here.

Was the rest of the hand standard?

lf