Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   News, Views, and Gossip (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   What is wrong with the QuadNines person on RGP? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=729)

02-17-2002 12:34 AM

What is wrong with the QuadNines person on RGP?

I'm reading here and RGP and have a question. Who is this Quadnines guy on RGP and what is his problem? He seems to be obsessed with the 2+2 guys. It looks like he spends 24 hours a day looking for little "errors" in 2+2 books or in something 2+2 author says. But they are mostly not even errors. But he still puts up posts saying, "Oh look what I found." But in almost all his posts he just takes some little statement and reads it in some way to find it wrong, but not in the way anyone else would read it! Like if you say, "in this situation you must bet", even if it's so clear and right to anyone who knows how to play, he'll read like you're saying there is no exception to betting whatsoever. Then he'll just say, "Wrong. What if someone has a gun at your head saying don't bet or I shoot. Then you better not bet. So you are wrong to say you must bet." Of course there are always some exceptions, but anyone knows what authors mean when they don't give all tiny possibilities and just say "you must bet".

What I mean is they are things that I know are right, from my own study and talking to some really top players that help me. It's easy to see also what the 2+2 guys are saying. They are not so hard to understand. But he finds a way to look at the statements in some strange way, and then say therefore that way they are wrong. I don't think I'm being so clear, but I just wondered why this guy is so very obsessed with 2+2.

02-17-2002 02:12 AM

Re: What is wrong with the QuadNines person on RGP

"Obsessed" is putting it mildly. He used to post here under the name "Mark Glover" and filled the archives with insanely long threads about nothing until he was laughed off. He now claims to be two people. Perhaps next year he'll subdivide again and become four.

02-17-2002 03:55 AM

When he/they posted as Mark Glover he actually footnoted ME! It was the only time I've ever been footnoted in my life. So I framed it [img]/images/biggrin.gif[/img].

Regards,

Rick

02-17-2002 12:27 PM

I hate to speak for someone else but since he has been banned from posting I'll offer an opinion. I believe that it is fair to say that he thinks HFAP contains too much "cook bookish" advice and that some ideas presented in HFAP and TOP are clearly wrong. Also I think that he feels that many of the 2+2 readers and forum participants don't think about the game deeply enough in that they don't think "outside the box" of the 2+2 recommendations and this is costly. Again I'm offering an opinion of what he thinks and the best thing to do if you're really interested is to post on RGP and ask him.

02-17-2002 02:34 PM

but he\'s not doing anyone any good

So far as "cookbook" advice, do you think there is any other way to save a housewife from wasting a lot of time and money on flour?

Anybody who claims he can teach you how to think "outside the box" is really just trying to teach you to think inside his box.

The 2+2 recipes work, they've been in and out of the oven a million times. Why confuse people needlessly?

If all QuadNines is doing is bragging that he has gained the experience and confidence to, like, substitute apple sauce for eggs or something, he can stick a fork in it.

eLROY

02-17-2002 08:10 PM

Re: but he\'s not doing anyone any good

Anybody who claims he can teach you how to think "outside the box" is really just trying to teach you to think inside his box.

Bravo!

I intend to steal this line immediately. [img]/images/smile.gif[/img]

02-17-2002 08:53 PM

more \"cookbook\" advice...

At one time, I actually considered myself to be one of the world's greatest chefs! But don't laugh, it wasn't all in the pH of suspended flavinoids, the conductivity of liquids, and the temperatures at which various types of cells changed states. Rather, my two most important cooking rules were,

1) Hunger is the best sauce, and

2) Always make extra, in case someone likes it:)

Those are some lines for cooks to remember and live by.

eLROY

02-18-2002 04:14 AM

Maybe this?

Do a search of archived RGP posts on groups.google.com, plugging in the phrase "Asperger's syndrome" Maybe Sklansky figured him out. Interesting at the least.

02-18-2002 12:37 PM

Craig H: Williams Syndrome?

I am fascinated with the translation of protein codes into personality characteristics. But the waves overlap, and wash up on many shores, so that you can see it in people's teeth, and in the shapes of their noses and stomachs, before you even talk to them.

I am particularly interested in the complementary recombinations which create such geniuses as Thomas Sowell, such freaks as Albert Einstein, and such idiot-savants as Bill Clinton. But so far as Aspergers, like ADD, it is a little fuzzy for my tastes.

eLROY

02-19-2002 03:44 AM

Some Links

Hard to tell just from the information on the web, but the Asperger's idea does lead to some fascinating tidbits. True, it's a bit fuzzy, but you can get a general feel for it by reading a few of the many descriptions. If Quadnines or Glover does suffer from anything at all like Asperger's syndrome, it would explain some things. Sort of makes him a more sympathetic character too. Here are a couple of links with a few pieces cut-pasted. Some comments that seem to really match Quadnines are bolded.

http://www.udel.edu/bkirby/asperger/

It is presently described as an autistic spectrum disorder... Some professionals feel that AS is the same as High Functioning Autism, while others feel that it is better described as a Nonverbal Learning Disability.

Persons with AS show marked deficiencies in social skills, have difficulties with transitions or changes and prefer sameness. They often have obsessive routines and may be preoccupied with a particular subject of interest.

By definition, those with AS have a normal IQ and many individuals (although not all), exhibit exceptional skill or talent in a specific area. Because of their high degree of functionality and their naiveté, those with AS are often viewed as eccentric or odd...

Vocabularies may be extraordinarily rich and some children sound like "little professors.", However, persons with AS can be extremely literal...

http://nd.essortment.com/whatisasperger_rhcv.htm

superficially perfect expressive language

formal, pedantic language

impairment of comprehension including misinterpretations of literal/implied meanings

What else is often lacking is comprehension of the nonliteral aspects of language...