Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   News, Views, and Gossip (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Yet another example of poker hitting the mainstream (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=123513)

Analyst 09-13-2004 09:40 AM

Yet another example of poker hitting the mainstream

Fry's, a west coast electronics chain selling everything from resistors and 7400 series logic chips all the way up to plasma TVs, now carries the ubiquitous aluminum-cased 11.5g poker chip set. It was included in a recent ad, right next to the 250GB hard drive (only $110 after rebates!) and the motherboard/processor combo for under $100. Guess they're giving you a choice between playing live at home or building a PC and playing on-line.

bwana devil 09-13-2004 10:59 AM

Re: Yet another example of poker hitting the mainstream

interesting. how many chips is included in that set?

sfer 09-13-2004 11:15 AM

Fry's rules. They cater to a geeky, bargain oriented Silicon Valley crowd and are remarkably savvy at targeting to their audience. For example, having palettes of soda and ramen adjacent to the checkout line.

bwana devil 09-13-2004 11:31 AM

They've also crept their way into the midwest. A fry's opened in Austin a couple of years ago. I've gone there before, but just don't hop around the store drooling like some of my other friends. I feel like I'm missing out.

random 09-13-2004 08:17 PM

I bought my coffee maker there. There are, I think, three in Dallas.

bromad1972 09-13-2004 11:39 PM

also, to add to the original posters intent, coming in November: World Championship Poker for xbox, ps2, gamecube and gameboy advance.

Get the kids started early!!

( the realy sad thing is that I own all those systems [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] )

Barry 09-14-2004 12:36 AM

More like the "geekstream". Are the chips inscribed in leet?

Analyst 09-14-2004 08:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
More like the "geekstream". Are the chips inscribed in leet?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pleased (or p1e4s3d) to say that I had to look up "leet", though that could be more a reflection of age rather than any non-geek-status.

herrkurtz 09-15-2004 06:34 PM

if you're going to say it, it really is l33t. that's what these kids are all about these days. 8 tabling l33t fools.

Blarg 09-15-2004 11:08 PM

You mean l337, I take it.

Fry's is where I always tell people to go get those 100 buck 19-inch monitors. I've even seen them selling them for $89 before. I bought two of them when they were still around $170 or so on sale, and they've lasted for years.

Last week they had a 1.5 Pentium-M laptop with a 15-inch screen for $799. It was only like 1024 x 768 or something, but what the hey, that's a helluva cheap price for a Pentium-M. It wasn't really what I was looking for, but at that price I almost got it...before it sold out. But I didn't. You've gotta move fast on some of their sales.

Their online version is www.outlet.com. Never ordered online from them, but their stores definitely are a total geek paradise. Pretty cool science-based kid toys, too.