Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   I called w/ suited crap from the SB and felt dirty. (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=137325)

Tyler Durden 10-18-2004 10:28 AM

I called w/ suited crap from the SB and felt dirty.

Party 15-30, good game.

UTG limps, UTG+1 raises, gets three coldcallers. I'm in the SB w/ 94[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. BB calls also. 7 way flop.

Flop is K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

This is the flop I was looking for right?

If some say it's an easy call PF then cool, I agree, it just felt strange. I used to muck this till a friend told me it's worth calling to see if I can flop a flush draw, two pair or trips due to all the money already in the pot. I think that's called pot odds or something?

DeeJ 10-18-2004 10:51 AM

Re: I called w/ suited crap from the SB and felt dirty.

Looks just about fine to me.

You have about an 11% chance of flopping two or three clubs, so this should make it just about OK given you are putting in $20 to make a pot of $180 or likely $210. The odds of flopping 2-pair/trips/better is around 3% which seals the deal even with the chance that you are behind to someone else with two clubs or one club+3 flopped.

I think you probably need 5 others in the pot to make it playable. With a blind of half a sb probably 6 from the SB for the same. Or thereabouts. Do you feel lucky?!

Grisgra 10-18-2004 01:46 PM

I can't see calling here, honestly. It looks like it's -EV, even with 15/10 blinds. UTG could raise, someone could have you dominated with two clubs, or someone could just have the AKQJT of clubs -- you probably need exactly three clubs out there to pull this in. Even if you flop two pair it'll be a suck two-pair, and if you flop trips, your kickers suck.

I mean, it is nice to immediately know whether you've hit the flop (and you did), but yeeks, I think this is pretty marginal. Obviously, I could be wrong. Not a HUGE mistake even if it is -EV.

mike l. 10-18-2004 03:18 PM

the two factors that matter most here are

how aggressive the players are postflop

and

how well you play postflop

stoxtrader 10-18-2004 03:22 PM

sh!t. in the party 15, I call with literally anytwo if there are 4 others in the pot.

you are getting immediate 14:1 odds and what is avg pot size with 5 people to the flop? its gotta be greater than the 200ish avg pot size for the game overall. so your implied odds, are pretty freaking good. but then again, im a "implied odds" optimist, so what do i know.

AlexM 10-18-2004 04:10 PM

Actually, the odds are 9.5:1 assuming the BB calls.

Grisgra 10-18-2004 04:35 PM

I think you missed that he didn't just complete, he coldcalled.

SoBeDude 10-18-2004 06:04 PM

The Party 15 game has, almost by definition, excellent implied odds.

-Scott