Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   One-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   What do you limp? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=387722)

11-29-2005 04:21 PM

What do you limp?

There's been a bit of discussion recently about the benefits of limping small and mid pocket pairs with some people (whose advice I try to listen to) saying that it's a bad idea to limp these. Others have said that it's OK to limp them from late position after there are already limpers in the pot. These discussions have piqued my interest because I often wonder whether it is ever right to limp.

I'm wondering what people are open limping with. From early position? From middle position? From late position? Assume a full (or nearly full) table in early levels. If the chip structure makes a difference, I'm more interested in hearing about what people are doing at PS where everyone starts with 1500 in chips.

So, what do you limp with?

11-29-2005 04:33 PM

Re: What do you limp?

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

EP I'm always in raise/fold mode, I don't have any limping hands on a full table

MP I limp in with mid pp if there are already limpers, if not I raise

LP I'll limp in with mids and small if already limpers, if not then raise both

I don't play suited connectors all that often unless my implied odds are really big (like family pots or lots of limpers)

pineapple888 11-29-2005 04:34 PM

Uhh... it kind of depends. That's a very general question.

Regarding pairs, any small/medium pair if limp < 1/20 my effective stack size and I think it's reasonably likely nobody will raise behind me.

pooh74 11-29-2005 04:36 PM

Don't have time to go super in-depth, but at stars (turbos) because of the presence of usually 2-3 super lags at every table to start, I try to do some "low risk-high reward" type plays early. As usual it depends, but lets just say that PPs are the quickest and easiest way to stack one of these fellas and the reverse imlplied odds are obviously minute.

Calling a raise with them at Ls I-II can be good.

L3 I might open fold 66 UTG.

11-29-2005 04:44 PM

EP - limp with 4's - 8's, AJo, KQo, QJs, JTs, (ATs, A9s if above avg chip stack)
MP - KJo, A8s, A7s (middle SC's if above avg chip stack)
LP - KTs, QTs, (small SC's if above avg chip stack)

I'm sure i've missed a few and by no means do I use this exclusively, have folded these hands and raised with these hands. so much is read dependent, stack dependent, other players stack size dependent, # of players left and your table image up to this point.

11-29-2005 05:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
EP - limp with 4's - 8's, AJo, KQo, QJs, JTs, (ATs, A9s if above avg chip stack)

I'm sure i've missed a few and by no means do I use this exclusively, have folded these hands and raised with these hands. so much is read dependent, stack dependent, other players stack size dependent, # of players left and your table image up to this point.

[/ QUOTE ]Thanks for the list. I realize that it depends upon a lot, which is why I stipulated early levels and nearly full table (to reduce availability of reads, significant stack differences and the like). I'm just looking for base lines from which people work. (And, to spark discussion about those.)

11-29-2005 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

EP I'm always in raise/fold mode, I don't have any limping hands on a full table

I don't play suited connectors all that often unless my implied odds are really big (like family pots or lots of limpers)

[/ QUOTE ]
So, you don't ever limp if there aren't already limpers in the pot?

ZeroPointMachine 11-29-2005 05:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
So, you don't ever limp if there aren't already limpers in the pot?

[/ QUOTE ]

In STTs I almost never open limp into a pot. The only exception would be in the first hand or two in EP with marginal cards. Then I might limp just to see how the table reacts. I just feel that the FE and deception value gained are worth the extra chips.

handsome 11-29-2005 07:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This list sucks.

tigerite 11-29-2005 09:09 PM

Agreed it's far, far too loose