Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Sushi (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=403164)

12-22-2005 12:16 AM

Sushi

I have come to the realization that my life is nothing but an arbitrary passing of time and events between meals at my favorite sushi place (Haruki East in Providence). I was just curious what everyones favorite place and items to get are. My sushi taste is more sophisticated than california rolls, but I still would consider myself a fairly "safe" eater looking to expand my sushi horizons. I'll get started naming some of my favorites.

Sushi:
Hamachi Nigiri
Spicy Tekka
Spider Shrimp Roll
Uzusukuri Suzuki
Unagi Nigiri (Although I get it fairly infrequently)

Non sushi items at the restaraunt:
Tempura Ice Cream

fluxrad 12-22-2005 12:33 AM

Re: Sushi

Sonoda's Sushi is some of the best you'll find in Denver. Some might say this isn't saying much, but I had the worst sushi I've ever had in Vancouver. I'd argue stateside that the chef matters way more than the fish. I thought I'd head off the obligatory "You live in Denver, WTF do you know about sushi?"

I just tried the Unagi (freshwater eel) roll today. It was un-freaking-believable. Otherwise, I'm always a fan of yellowtail and salmon nigiri. Tamago is a great finishing move too.

12-22-2005 12:46 AM

O Toro
Chu Toro

malokoman 12-22-2005 12:46 AM

Tempura Green tea ice cream is the [censored]. My favorite order at the sushi place is called the Volcano roll. It consists of shrimp tempura in the middle topped with a whole eel and hot sauce on the top. Good stuff

edit It's actually called Fried Green tea where I am from [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]

one more edit: I live on Long Island, and my favorite sushi place is Empire. Mon.-Thur. they have half off all sushi items, pretty damn good deal.

ZeeJustin 12-22-2005 12:50 AM

Toro nigiri
Spicy Tuna Rolls
Unagi Nigiri
Sashimi Samplers

malokoman 12-22-2005 12:52 AM

Can you explain the Unagi Nigiri?

Sightless 12-22-2005 12:53 AM

Dragon Roll
Eel Avocado Roll
Alaskan Roll
Spicy Tuna roll

ichi Sushi in Brooklyn are pretty decent

daryn 12-22-2005 12:58 AM

me rikey unagi donburi

Los Feliz Slim 12-22-2005 01:01 AM

My favorite place is Saito's in Silverlake on Sunset in Los Angeles. My wife and I always get, in this order:

albacore sashimi
spanish mackeral sushi
snapper sushi
spicy tuna hand roll

Then she gets some unagi and I get some more mackeral unless he's got something special like wild salmon.

12-22-2005 01:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd argue stateside that the chef matters way more than the fish. I thought I'd head off the obligatory "You live in Denver, WTF do you know about sushi?"

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't care who the chef is, if the fish is bad, its bad. WTF do you know about sushi, you live in Denver.