Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   One-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Sets vs. Continuous (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=406286)

HtotheNootch 12-28-2005 01:09 AM

Sets vs. Continuous

What do most people here think is the correct way to STT?

I'm still learning so I've tried both. I don't have enough games to favor one or the other as I'm trying both, but the general consensus would be helpful.

Mr_J 12-28-2005 01:20 AM

Re: Sets vs. Continuous

There isn't any 'correct', it's just preference. Figure out which suits you better.

Hendricks433 12-28-2005 01:23 AM

I use to play continous but I like the easily scheduled breaks. But if im on my laptop it doesnt matter cause I can just play while I go to the bath room of course.

11t 12-28-2005 01:29 AM

I play in sets because I think late game is where you make the vast majority of your money and that allows me to concentrate.

Also I can take a leak after every set.

benza13 12-28-2005 01:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also I can take a leak after every set.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bladder problems???

I played in sets until I was comfortable with it and recently have been playing continuously. Now I 6-table continuously, and am trying 8-tabling, but cannot handle this playing continuously yet. Maybe once I am pretty comfortable with 8 in sets I will try continuous again.

Playing continuously can add to your $/hr if it doesn't affect your ROI too much. You need to figure out which is better for you.

lacky 12-28-2005 01:36 AM

continues sucks. If a boss asked for the continues focus, no breaks, no life that playing continuous hour after hour requires, you'd quit, and/or do a [censored] job after a while. Why do to yourself what you wouldn't let "the man" do to you.

12-28-2005 01:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
continues sucks. If a boss asked for the continues focus, no breaks, no life that playing continuous hour after hour requires, you'd quit, and/or do a [censored] job after a while. Why do to yourself what you wouldn't let "the man" do to you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. I work 20 hours a week and I'm allowed a 5 minute break for every hour worked. I HAVE NEVER taken a break until towards the end, where I take all my breaks at once.

If your goal is playing so many SNG's a day, why not just play continuous and take one big break rather than all the small ones?

runner4life7 12-28-2005 01:44 AM

Continuous is my preference. The most I have played straight is 78 and that was 10 tabling. I felt awesome after that [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. I'll see if I can beat that tomorrow.

12-28-2005 01:52 AM

Ten tabling in sets is perfect for me. Early and late play is so brainless that I can watch TV or talk on the phone or do homework or something, only really playing intense poker for maybe 10 minutes each set. If I played continuously, all of my games would be at varying stages, and I would have to have a certain portion of my attention consistently devoted across the span of an hour rather than letting it fluctuating in waves. This works for me because I have a short attention span. Also, I rarely have a solid 3-4 hour block of time that I can devote to poker. I have to squeeze in a set here and there to get my 20 hrs/wk.

yvesaint 12-28-2005 01:53 AM

if im pumped and really concentrating, ill 8-table a set of 8. if im feeling anything but 100%, ill 4-table continuously until i finish 8.