Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Psychology (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Table etiquette (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=216565)

SNOWBALL138 03-20-2005 07:54 AM

Table etiquette

I was playing 2/4 hold em at the racetrack in LA and dragged a big pot off this guy. He began to criticize my play. All I said was nice hand. He was saying "you better learn to read to board if you wanna play". He said a couple other insulting things and told me that this must be the first time I've played.

Here's the question. Whats the best response here?

My response was "can I still keep these chips"?

Obviously, the wrong response is explaining to him why my play was correct on all the betting rounds, and how his play was incorrect on 2 of them.

Is there a better response than mine? My objective was to keep him in the game, but also to stop him from lecturing me.

deacsoft 03-20-2005 10:12 AM

Re: Table etiquette

[ QUOTE ]
Is there a better response than mine?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes there is, and I need to go all the way back to my days in grade school fot it. "If you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all."

Boltsfan1992 03-20-2005 11:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was playing 2/4 hold em at the racetrack in LA and dragged a big pot off this guy. He began to criticize my play. All I said was nice hand. He was saying "you better learn to read to board if you wanna play". He said a couple other insulting things and told me that this must be the first time I've played.

Here's the question. Whats the best response here?

My response was "can I still keep these chips"?

Obviously, the wrong response is explaining to him why my play was correct on all the betting rounds, and how his play was incorrect on 2 of them.

Is there a better response than mine? My objective was to keep him in the game, but also to stop him from lecturing me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd say there are two options.

One, say, "Thanks for the tip..."

Two, better response I think, is to just ignore him. I think that will get his frustration level up more.

A gambler sits at the other end of the table and says to the dealer, "That guy (referring to me) doesn't play anything. How is he gonna win?"

Dealer says, "Yeah, he is a little on the tight side."

I just keep my mouth shut.

Two hands later, I'm dealt 33 in the blind. The flop makes a boat for me. I won a huge one pot.

I still don't say anything...

PB

popniklas 03-20-2005 02:45 PM

I think it was a pretty good response. However, he might find you cocky and keep being rude to you.

I think the best way is to say something like "Come on, don't take this so seriuosly, I just play to have some fun."

DeanCarl 03-20-2005 04:44 PM

I think the best thing to do here is give him that old "what slime pit did you crawl out of" look, shake your head a bit and go back to playing. He might continue to rag on you, but that's ok. Sounds like he's tilting anyway and if he stays there that can only be good for you in the long run.

Dean

jason_t 03-20-2005 05:56 PM

Just shrug and keep silent.

jmgurgeh 03-20-2005 06:19 PM

Depends if you want to be polite and "Do the right thing" or if you figure all bets are off if this guy is going to be rude. I actually think your response probably riled him even more (great response by the way, I'll remember that), and if you wanted to continue to needle him and have him underestimate your play you could say something that you know to be untrue, like "I had fifteen outs on the flop."

But again, if you don't want to play mind games, keeping quiet is a fine idea.

htc1278 03-21-2005 12:11 AM

I like to reinforce the other player's belief that I'm bad by saying something like, "Yeah, it was a loose play...but I'm feeling lucky tonight."

toots 03-21-2005 12:33 AM

I always favor the tried-and-true "Yeah, I'd be really pissed if I were you."

sawseech 03-21-2005 12:52 PM

"hey buddy, i'm colorblind, back off"