Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   78o in BB against EP raiser and LP caller. (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=160818)

thwang99 12-12-2004 05:59 AM

78o in BB against EP raiser and LP caller.

Say you have 78o in the BB, 15/30. EP raises on Party, and a LP cold caller (unknown). What is your play here? - Tony

bicyclekick 12-12-2004 06:38 AM

Re: 78o in BB against EP raiser and LP caller.

[ QUOTE ]
Say you have 78o in the BB, 15/30. EP raises on Party, and a LP cold caller (unknown). What is your play here? - Tony

[/ QUOTE ]

Move down to a lower game if I had to think before clicking the fold box.

Hell even 87s is a bad call.

TStoneMBD 12-12-2004 07:24 AM

in thwangs defense, my biggest leak atm (at least that i can see) is my blind defense. i lose alot more money in the blinds than im supposed to and im trying to work on this. despite this area of my game i need to patch up, i do very well at these limits.

FrankTheTank 12-12-2004 11:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

why?

bicyclekick 12-12-2004 03:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

why?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's made wore because of the dynamics of the game(overagressive). 87s does not play well 3 way in an overagressive game, especially out of position. The only 'pot odds' you're going to have are from money you put in yourself.

jayheaps 12-12-2004 04:02 PM

easy fold. Against another opponent you could get away with playing 78s.

Given the dynamics of the game, unless you flop a made hand, you will likely be facing at least one maybe 2 bets. All of this for possibly drawing to the idiot end of a straight.

bicyclekick 12-12-2004 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
easy fold. Against another opponent you could get away with playing 78s.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, if you are a solid post-flop player it's probably slightly profitable. If you're not, it's still not worth it. Then again I can't imagine too many people thinking 'i'm not solid post-flop player' Almost everyone thinks they are. That's why poker rules.

I know I'm not a fantastic post-flop player so I'm not sure I'd play it.

Tommy Angelo didn't like it when I called that exact hand after an mp raise and 4 cold calls. He did say this though: call if and only if you feel like gambling. It's not going to make a big difference one way or the other.

jogumon 12-13-2004 05:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Tommy Angelo didn't like it when I called that exact hand after an mp raise and 4 cold calls. He did say this though: call if and only if you feel like gambling. It's not going to make a big difference one way or the other.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't this a very good spot to be in? Getting 11.5 to 1 on a pre flop call, with you closing the action, with a hand that has the potential to make a very big hand. The flop bet is almost certain to come from your immediate left, so you'll have a chance to see what the entire field does before you have to make your decision. I would think that one small bet is a very good investment here.

bicyclekick 12-13-2004 05:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would think that one small bet is a very good investment here.

[/ QUOTE ]

You and me both. Tommy plays a completely different game in a different universe. I'm beginning to understand it more and more, but not playing 87s getting 11.5-1 -EV poker.

Michael Emery 12-13-2004 05:50 AM

My play would be to click fold without even having to think.

Mike Emery