Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Am I just giving my $s away? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=379525)

Stealthy 11-16-2005 09:20 AM

Am I just giving my $s away?

My first day playing $2 $4 after playing $1 $2 6 max for a few weeks. Am I giving too much action with these type of hands?

Hand 1

Vilain is 30/9/0.75 after 75 hands

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, UTG calls.

Flop: (5.50 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls.

Turn: (3.75 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls.

River: (5.75 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 5.75 BB

Hand 2

Vilain in this hand is 61/1/1.3 after 70 hands

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is BB with 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero checks.

Flop: (2.50 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button checks.

Turn: (1.25 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

River: (3.25 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 6.25 BB

Hand 3

No reads

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. MP3 posts a blind of $2.
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 (poster) calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (7 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, SB folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (7.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 9.50 BB

I am worried that I am spewing too much and need to nip it in the bud now I have moved up. Maybe it is just an adjustment moving from 6 Max to full-ring.

I feel that I tend to suspect players are making moves on me in heads up pots whereby perhaps I should assume they have a hand unless my reads and HUD stats tell me otherwise.

I suspect I lost too much money yesterday seeing mediocre hands to the end or trying to bluff whereby a quick check/fold or bet/fold was the correct action.

11-16-2005 09:56 AM

Re: Am I just giving my $s away?

Hand #1: If I get a call on the flop, I'm done. I'm checking it through/folding to a bet. Way, WAY too coordinated a board to pursue with a measly pair of nines.

jskills 11-16-2005 10:33 AM

Hand 1: He called your flop bet. Betting the turn is not going to make him fold, given his stats. No more money should go in the pot after the flop.

Hand 2: The flop missed you completely. Betting the turn on a stone bluff is not a good move here - the pot is a 1.25 BB and you're putting in a full BB with nothing in your hand?

Hand 3: Fold the turn, he has a King.

I'd say you should try to put your "he's making a move on me" suspicions on the back burner for a while, if you're coming out of 6max into full ring.

RatFink 11-16-2005 10:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 2
Vilain in this hand is 61/1/1.3 after 70 hands

[/ QUOTE ]

These players aren't the best to throw a bluff at.

private joker 11-16-2005 03:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Hand 3: Fold the turn, he has a King.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you're saying he should call the flop raise in hopes of hitting a 2-outer, then fold when he misses it? Terrible.

Stealthy 11-16-2005 03:42 PM

Thanks for the replies guys.

Hand 1. I am so used to betting the turn if I bet the flop (unless the board gets very bad) in the hope that they fold to the bigger bet. There are times that I should not be doing this. He had limped with K4 suited and MHING.

Hand 2: I have had mixed results firing at "unwanted" small pots but clearly need to pick my players better.

Hand 3: He did have the king which was obvious. I have limited success calling these down and an early fold I think is less -EV against the majority of opponents.

Only been playing limit for 4 weeks now so I am still reasonably happy with my progress.

ZootMurph 11-16-2005 03:55 PM

Hand 1. Heads up, after the flop call, I don't see how you can take this further, unless you think he is on a draw or will fold a King or Queen here. When the turn Ace hits, I find it highly unlikely that you will get a fold from a King, so I'm checking it down.

Hand 2. Why are you calling the turn? It's a small pot, and you have nothing... don't try to win a pot that isn't worth winning. If anything, I would have bet at the flop, as in the BB you could have anything and may induce a fold from a better hand. But, with a tiny pot, I'm not bothering.

Hand 3. This is tough. There are so many things you could be up against here. I think you are behind the range of hands he could have, and without a read I'm probably going to 3 bet the flop. If he caps I can fold and save myself 1 1/2 BB. If he calls, I'll bet at the turn and fold to a raise. If he calls the turn, I'll check behind on the river or fold to a bet.

Stealthy 11-16-2005 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 2. Why are you calling the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't call. I bluffed at it. Picked up a pair of jacks on the river so value bet my hand but folded to the raise as I could only beat a bluff.

Walker 11-16-2005 04:01 PM

I really don't like calling down in hand #3 against an unknown. I'd fold to the raise on the flop. I think he's auto betting the turn and you really don't have the odds to call the flop and fold the turn UI. I really don't think this is a spot where a loose flop call--in order to prevent observant opponents from taking shots at you--does any good.

Stealthy 11-16-2005 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I really don't like calling down in hand #3 against an unknown. I'd fold to the raise on the flop. I think he's auto betting the turn and you really don't have the odds to call the flop and fold the turn UI. I really don't think this is a spot where a loose flop call--in order to prevent observant opponents from taking shots at you--does any good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.