Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Shorthanded (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Bet/Fold seemed right? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=407942)

12-30-2005 08:08 PM

Bet/Fold seemed right?

2nd hand at the table, no real reads obviously.

Ultimate Bet 2/4 Hold'em (6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls.

Flop: (7 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 7.50 BB

gehrig 12-30-2005 09:06 PM

Re: Bet/Fold seemed right?

yeah thats good

Spartan1983 12-31-2005 02:09 AM

Why is it saying 3 players on the flop and turn? Turn- I fold.

imported_leader 12-31-2005 02:26 AM

I like c/f better.

banditdad 12-31-2005 04:07 AM

The fold is right but a C/F would have been better.

Womble 12-31-2005 06:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I like c/f better.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?

Chairman Wood 12-31-2005 07:13 AM

The folding is definately the right move. The betting part is the questionable one. When a player (which we could see as a typical 2/4 player) raises from the button and then you 3-bet him (thus representing in his mind a pretty decent hand) what hands does he call you on this flop with that you 1)could get value from if he calls you again on the turn or 2) get to fold if he has a better hand?

banditdad 12-31-2005 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I like c/f better.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because at SS too many players will play Ax and any 2 suited. You are behind. KQ is a chip spewing hand, (I know this from 23,000 pt hands and KQ being a consistent loser. It took me a long time to learn to get the discipline to play KQ properly.), looks good but you almost always need help to win. Either hold your nose and check/call it all the way down or fold to the raise. save the bet, and wait for another hand.

jt1 12-31-2005 03:15 PM

I'm tempted to say check/call so let me review myself. If you bet/fold, you will fold QT and KT or make them pay when they won't bet the river UI. You won't fold a pair of Jacks very often but you might fold a pair of eights. So I like the bet/fold: it just forfeits your chance at hitting that gutshot after you already put in the one bb.

I'm not sure, there are a few scenarios I can forsee where check calling can still win you the pot UI, but there also there are some scenarios where betting will win you a pot that you would otherwise loose.

after reading the posts, i see that c/f is being discussed. You are getting the odds to call if you count 7 outs, which I think is reasonable. However, you are only winning about a 10th of a bb per call and given your reverse implied that slightly +ev call turns into -ev.

I posted a similar hand in small stakes earlier this week and JoeTall advised to c/f. I'm beginning to see why.

imported_leader 12-31-2005 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I like c/f better.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because that flop sux and you have nothing. The turn isn't any better. It's a small pot. You don't have enough fold equity. Mindlessly betting these turns is a costly mistake.