Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Midlife Career Change (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=356966)

BIGRED 10-13-2005 04:03 PM

Midlife Career Change

This is not a "I want to go Pro" post you often find in the poker discussion forums. This is a question on changing one's career from a guy who has very little idea about what he wants to do.

I'm in my mid 30's and work as a programmer. I've been doing this for close to a decade now and although it has been financially rewarding, I realize now it is not something I want to do for the rest of my life. I supplement my income with online poker so the motivation to keep at it is also pretty low. But nonetheless, I do want to persue something else. But I have no idea whatelse is out there for me.

Since I do have poker for supplementary income, I don't need to find a career that pays as much as being a programmer. But I do want something that will provide medical and 401K, and something that is more day to day rather than project oriented.

Since poker is my passion, I don't need this job to be my life enjoyment. I just need something to provide medical (401K is bonus) and something to get me out of the house when not playing poker.

Any ideas?

BoogerFace 10-13-2005 04:05 PM

Re: Midlife Career Change

I'm in the same boat, but I'm unwilling to take the pay cut.

Sounds like you want a part-time job with benefits. Why not load trucks for UPS?

BIGRED 10-13-2005 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Sounds like you want a part-time job with benefits. Why not load trucks for UPS?

[/ QUOTE ]
UPS delivery man? hmmm I can go for that. How much do you think that pays? What other jobs have you thought about and are you in IT? If so why do you not like IT? For me I hate the stupid specs you get for developing what I need to develop and having to deal with users that dont really know what they want.

M2d 10-13-2005 04:15 PM

I don't know what you can/can't do, or how much you're looking for, but if the money really isn't that important, why not look for something in an enjoyable field? If i were ever in the situation that I just needed a job to kill time or to get benefits, I'd probably look at a golf shop or fishing shop to see if I could get full time work with benefits.

10-13-2005 04:18 PM

I think UPS is like $8 or $9 hour, they offer college tuition assistance too, so if you were thinking grad school for something other than IT that could work.

Freakin 10-13-2005 04:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
UPS delivery man? hmmm I can go for that. How much do you think that pays? What other jobs have you thought about and are you in IT? If so why do you not like IT? For me I hate the stupid specs you get for developing what I need to develop and having to deal with users that dont really know what they want.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think delivery man is pretty different from loading trucks. IIRC, the delivery men can make over 70k, get full medical paid for, and a generous (by today's standards) pension plan. It's not an easy job to get, but it's an easy one to keep.

Freakin

highlife 10-13-2005 04:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think delivery man is pretty different from loading trucks. IIRC, the delivery men can make over 70k, get full medical paid for, and a generous (by today's standards) pension plan. It's not an easy job to get, but it's an easy one to keep.

Freakin

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, my friends uncle was a UPS delivery man and he is retired now at 55, lives in a huge house and drives a jag. they definately make a good wage, and have nice benefits (including stock purchase plans and pensions). though it sounds like a rediculously mind numbing job.

BoogerFace 10-13-2005 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You could go either route, but I think driving pays way better.

Ideally, I'm looking for the ideal Holden Caulfield setup - pretending that I'm mute and have people write me little notes saying what they want.

I've considered:

Teaching high school math/science/programming - won't do it because the parents are out of control these days and the pay is [censored]. On the plus side is summer's off to play cards.
Loan officer at a bank. It would be boring but predictable.
Truck driver. For the Catcher in the Rye effect.
Powerball winner. This is the best case scenario. This would also fund startup ideas.

I guess I'll stick to writing code for a living. After another 10 years of this, my head will explode.

BIGRED 10-13-2005 05:27 PM

How about being a car salesman... I know everyone hates'em, but I'm not talking about used car. I don't know if it makes a difference in the like-ability factor, but I happen to like BMWs... so how about being a luxury car salesman. Cars like BMWs sell themselves.

4thstreetpete 10-13-2005 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know what you can/can't do, or how much you're looking for, but if the money really isn't that important, why not look for something in an enjoyable field? If i were ever in the situation that I just needed a job to kill time or to get benefits, I'd probably look at a golf shop or fishing shop to see if I could get full time work with benefits.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this approach a lot. If you don't need the money then I think it's best to do something you really enjoy.