Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro-Limits (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   I contemplate a slow-play (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=352631)

gharp 10-07-2005 04:02 PM

I contemplate a slow-play

Villain in this hand is a tight, thinking player. Table is a bit tight in general, but not too bad.

Ultimate Bet 2/4 Hold'em (6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is MP with 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
1 fold, <font color="red">Hero raises</font>, 2 folds, SB calls, 1 fold.

Flop: (5 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="black">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

Turn: (3.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="black">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero scratches his chin and wonders....

lautzutao 10-07-2005 04:04 PM

Re: I contemplate a slow-play

he seems to be more than willing to call down. I think the place for the slowplay was the flop.

aK13 10-07-2005 04:09 PM

I think a better question is whether or not to 3bet if he check/raises.

10-07-2005 04:11 PM

I think he calls because he doesnt believe you have the A or he is on a flush draw. No reason to slow down.

jrz1972 10-07-2005 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the place for the slowplay was the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Failure to bet the flop announces to the whole world that you flopped trips. Villain isn't going to give you credit for trips just because you bet; he knows you're betting the flop 100% of the time regardless of your holding. Checking is much scarier for villain that betting.

lautzutao 10-07-2005 04:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think the place for the slowplay was the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Failure to bet the flop announces to the whole world that you flopped trips. Villain isn't going to give you credit for trips just because you bet; he knows you're betting the flop 100% of the time regardless of your holding. Checking is much scarier for villain that betting.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, I'm not saying that we shoulda "slowplayed" this at all. I just don't see how a stop and go is going to work against this guy unless he's aggressive. And we have no read.

EDIT yes we do have a read, nm...I still don't like checking here in any event.

Redd 10-07-2005 04:39 PM

What hand do you expect a tight, thinking player to c/c the flop and c/f the turn with here? If he's on a draw, it's a strong one and he's staying until the river. If he had a pair on the flop, he's likely going to showdown. Either way, I think that this guy will usually call a turn bet with the worst of it so you might as well give him the chance to.

Shillx 10-07-2005 05:20 PM

Bet the turn. Save this play for times like....

All fold to a good SB who raises. You call in the BB with A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

Flop - 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] - He bets and you call.

Turn - A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] - He checks. This is a fine place to check behind since the villian will commonly be drawing dead. The villian is not drawing dead when he calls on that board in your hand. He either has an ace, pocket or a flush draw. All of which will at least call you.

Brad

gharp 10-07-2005 05:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What hand do you expect a tight, thinking player to c/c the flop and c/f the turn with here? If he's on a draw, it's a strong one and he's staying until the river. If he had a pair on the flop, he's likely going to showdown. Either way, I think that this guy will usually call a turn bet with the worst of it so you might as well give him the chance to.

[/ QUOTE ]
Good points -- I guess I'm thinking of something like QJ (maybe with a [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]) where he's not giving me credit for an A and peeling one to see if he improves.

10-07-2005 06:12 PM

Do you raise the river if bet into?