Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Daily Hand Post: play along in a marginal situation (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=285610)

jason_t 07-03-2005 08:03 PM

Daily Hand Post: play along in a marginal situation

Third hand at table and no solid reads although the table seems fairly loose.

Party 2/4.

Preflop: I am Button with 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
MP3 open limps, CO limps, I limp, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (5 players)
SB checks, BB bets, MP3 calls, CO calls, I....

thirddan 07-03-2005 08:06 PM

Re: Daily Hand Post: play along in a marginal situation

fold...will be back for comments if you want...

Buck_65 07-03-2005 08:08 PM

Fold without hesitation since you'll be outdrawn a lot even when you are ahead on the flop. There are a decent number of good turn cards for you, but a lot of them bring you into unfortunate reverse implied odds territory. If one of those damn sixes was a spade, oh the possibilities...

paperboyNC 07-03-2005 08:11 PM

I assume this is 2/4?? Do you at least have stats on the players like V$IP? You are getting 8-1 from the pot.. so the pot is $16.

The real problem is that there are few very good cards for the turn. You could get the backdoor straight, but a 4 or an 8 could give someone else the straight. Any overcard could give someone a pair.

Plus, if someone raises the turn, you'll be forced to fold even if they don't have the six. If you raise the flop, you aren't going to force anyone out.

Jake (The Snake) 07-03-2005 08:12 PM

Yeah I don't want to start a "fold" bandwagon but every way you can win is tainted.

Another 5 gives someone with a 6 a better full house. A 7 puts three to a straight out there (and you are still behind a 6). Your backdoor straights will often be chopped. Even if nobody has a 6, there's a decent chance someone has a better 5 or better pocket pair.

Finally, you will often lose a lot of money when you make 2nd best hands and will win little when you make the best hand.

Carmine 07-03-2005 08:14 PM

Tough one without knowing how loose or tricky these players are. You also don't mention what game this is.
In an earlier position I would be raising to see where I'm at for sure. I think this is a raise or fold situation. What card on the turn would you want to see. I think I'm leaning toward a fold.

jjacky 07-03-2005 08:16 PM

i like a fold here. you have a decent chance to have the best hand. but if you don't you will have a hard time to draw out and the opposition has tons of outs if you should be ahead. no chance to protect the hand.
there is no card that really helps you on the turn and any(!) card (despite the 2 sixes) is a scare card. the reversed implied outs are terrible.

gaming_mouse 07-03-2005 08:48 PM

Fold. The bet + two calls after all-limp PF action reeks of a slowplayed 6. And those times no one has a 6, you are going to have to dodge as many as 6 possible overcards.

jason_t 07-03-2005 11:53 PM

I called on the flop. I think it's close but correct. I'll ellaborate later.

Party 2/4.

Preflop: I am Button with 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
MP3 open limps, CO limps, I limp, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (5 players)
SB checks, BB bets, MP3 calls, CO calls, I call, SB folds.

Turn: (9 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (4 players)
BB checks, MP3 checks, CO checks, I....

thirddan 07-03-2005 11:59 PM

bet...
you have to protect your hand in the rare case that it is good...you have to call a raise too since you now have a gutshot + full house draw (tainted)...betting and getting raised is nowhere near as bad as giving a free card here...