Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Brick and Mortar (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Hiii-yaaaaaaaaaaaaah (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=318672)

Georgia Avenue 08-19-2005 02:39 PM

Hiii-yaaaaaaaaaaaaah

I'm sure this has been asked before but it's hard to spell this so the search function will recognize it.

What's up with this noise that I hear in pokerrooms all over the country? Mostly followed by "Gambooooooool!" The second part I get...the nasal karate chop sound...No Savvy.

I heard this more at LC in oakland than anywhere out here.

This one crazy drunk cat at the Trop is the master of it: Snake, I believe is the name. Older semi-asian character who loves to cap pf in 2/4 w/ NADA. When he sucks out he leaps up screaming that "hAIiiiiiiiyaaaaaaaaah" and bangs the table...various other degenerates scream back at him from other 2/4 games around the room and the broke ones scurry over to get loans or handouts.

It's eerie, actually....like a bunch of paratroopers going "gerrrrronimoooo!" simultaneously.

What's up with--that?

BottlesOf 08-19-2005 02:46 PM

Re: Hiii-yaaaaaaaaaaaaah

I hate the hi-yahhh myself and can offer no explanation. Gamb00000l on the other hand is great.

TheJunkyardGod 08-19-2005 02:57 PM

Holy crap i'm going to AC for some Drunken 2-4. I can't wait for stupid crap like this!

sfer 08-19-2005 03:05 PM

LC is in Colma, no?

Also, I think "Hiiiiii-yaaaaaaah!" is actually "Aiiiiiyaaaaaaaaaa!" Gabe is quite good at these.

Georgia Avenue 08-19-2005 03:25 PM

Whoops, I meant the oaks club in oakland. I've never been to LC.

I'll concur with the spelling... But what does it mean?!

playersare 08-19-2005 03:42 PM

"Hiiiiii-yaaaaaaah!" = karate chop

"Aiiiiiyaaaaaaaaaa!" = chinese equivalent of "oh dear!" when something bad happens.

Luv2DriveTT 08-19-2005 03:50 PM

Overhead at Commerce 9/18. RMoratti sitting to my right (where he belongs) as usual. Rich yells "Aiiiiiyaaaaaaaaaa" with his trademarked [censored] eating grin and the Korean players at the table couldn't stop laughing for the next 5 minutes.

But in all honesty, it didn't beat him screaming GAMBOOOL at the top of his lungs in the high limit room, and I do mean screaming. Priceless.

By the way, anyone notice how quiet Commerce is? its the quietest big poker room I've ever been to.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

mikech 08-19-2005 04:00 PM

it's "ai-yah!" and it means something like "yikes!"

ShawnHoo 08-19-2005 04:05 PM

It sounds the best when you say it like you're being punched in the stomach. Think a short, deep tone.

sfer 08-19-2005 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Overhead at Commerce 9/18. RMoratti sitting to my right (where he belongs) as usual. Rich yells "Aiiiiiyaaaaaaaaaa" with his trademarked [censored] eating grin and the Korean players at the table couldn't stop laughing for the next 5 minutes.

But in all honesty, it didn't beat him screaming GAMBOOOL at the top of his lungs in the high limit room, and I do mean screaming. Priceless.

By the way, anyone notice how quiet Commerce is? its the quietest big poker room I've ever been to.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Playing 9/18 with bukakke one Chinese guy kept correcting people saying "Gambool!" and pointing out that it's "Gam-bewl" with an accent on the second syllable. He was hilarious. He would also 3-bet and tell the original raiser that they would "chop chop in the parking lot later."