Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Science, Math, and Philosophy (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   This Ought To Get Some Replies (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=401817)

hmkpoker 12-30-2005 12:31 PM

Re: This Ought To Get Some Replies

If I remember correctly, identical twins separated at birth show a very, very strong correlation in IQ testing, somehting like 90%. Fraternal twins were much lower, almost 50%, and brothers, cousins and down the line were virtually random.

Genetics does play a role, no question about that. But just because it does doesn't mean that one race is significantly genetically superior in intelligence to another.

Borodog 12-30-2005 12:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I remember correctly, identical twins separated at birth show a very, very strong correlation in IQ testing, somehting like 90%. Fraternal twins were much lower, almost 50%, and brothers, cousins and down the line were virtually random.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, this argues for a very strong environmental influence. If normal brothers are significantly less correlated in IQ scores than are fraternal twins, then the difference in the environment during the upbringing of the brothers must make up the difference in correlation, since fraternal twins are no more distant genetically than regular siblings. The identical twins get the double whammy of identical genetics and identical environments.

hmkpoker 12-30-2005 12:49 PM

Exactly.

Rduke55 12-30-2005 01:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, this argues for a very strong environmental influence. If normal brothers are significantly less correlated in IQ scores than are fraternal twins, then the difference in the environment during the upbringing of the brothers must make up the difference in correlation, since fraternal twins are no more distant genetically than regular siblings. The identical twins get the double whammy of identical genetics and identical environments.

[/ QUOTE ]

And all that prenatal stuff.

Borodog 12-30-2005 02:01 PM

Isn't "all that prenatal stuff" environmental?

Rduke55 12-30-2005 02:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Isn't "all that prenatal stuff" environmental?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah but people often just consider upbringing as the only environmental conditions when they talk about this stuff.

theBruiser500 12-30-2005 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Since, in the long run, the busier these forums are, the more money I make, I couldn't let this comment from Phil153 get buried in another thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

Slansky, you are a joke, you are the worst poster on this site.